Big Bocage Tiger finished

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi folks

It took 2 years in the making, many hours of both modelling and researching, scratch building parts (sometimes over and over again) but it's finally finished...

I give you the 1/16 RC Tiger 1 (Late conversion).

This is to the best of my knowledge an accurate portrayal of the machine probably used by Michael Wittman at Villers Bocage. I say probably because there are 2 possible candidates for this machine (I refer everyone to the discussions on 'Missing-linx'), I believe that this machine is more likely. Just to head off a few questions regarding the colour scheme, the turret numbers follow current thinking on the machine abandoned outside the furniture store in Villers (NOT 222 as stated in many books but Tiger 212). 212 is seen in earlier photographs near Morgny in a column of other 2nd company tigers, the turret numbers appear larger and lighter than the normal red outlined with white and speculation surrounds what colour they actually were. Some have said blue, some yellow, some even pink! I've gone with blue because I don't think we'll ever get a definitive answer so I've gone with what I think looks best.

Steve (Stona) if you're reading this, this is every bit as contentious as the minutiae surrounding Mk 1 spits!

Anyway, about the model...

The tools all have real wooden handles, the jack block is also real wood, the 20 tonne jack and the fire extinguisher were scratch buit as was the turret roof. Many alts to the standard Tamiya tiger are needed to bring it round to a Late model spec - including moving all the tool locations, alts to the rear deck and addition of the spare track links to the turret roof as well as the more obvious late cupola.

Hope you enjoy the photographs and all comments are welcome.

Cheers

P

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
A big 5 stars from me

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
stunning work on all areas of this superb build like how you have made your own wood block tempted to do that on my build and seeing yours i might give it a try.anyway back to yours the weathering is spot on buddy

T

tommy1drop

Top build and marks, excellent weathering and detailing.

Tom

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
WOW! fantastic detail, fantastic weathering a labour of love, two years well spent what more can I say FIVE BIG STARS all the way.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Took you long enough :laughing:

That is one of the, if not THE best Tiger I have seen on any model site!!!

You'll have your work cut out bettering that one.

Fantastic! Five stars are a bit of a weak compensation for that but its the most you can have!

Ian M...

Whats the nest project?

T

tiger131

one word WOW! that looks incredible would love to control that bad boy.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks everyone for the kind words.

Ian, yeah it did take a little while didn't it?! I think I missed the group build deadline by just over 2 years! Still it got there in the end.

With regards to the next project, I've got a few options: I can finish the WW1 group build Fokker DR1s I've still got on the bench!, I can start a much larger project in 1/32 on the Battle of Britain which includes all the likely subjects in this scale (including no less than five 109s!), or I can continue in the 1/16 vein with the RC Panther I have in the stash along with a kubelwagen and a whole heap of resin and plastic figures to go with.

I had promised myself that I'd shift a few things off the bench so I think I'm gonna finish the Fokkers from the WW1 GB., but maybe first I'll give this beast a crew.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Cheers Paul

Last edited by a moderator:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
That's a beauty Paul! ***** for sure.

..... and very nicely timed to answer my question from earlier today. Am I right in thinking that there is just a large cylindrical shape behind the main gun shield which fills the gap in the turret? If so, it's a pretty poor effort by the makers of the one I have. The diameter of the cylinder they supply is about 1/2" too small!

Gern

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Dave

Are you referring to the plate metal that is welded to the front of the turret roof, or what is directly behind the mantlet ie. the main gun trunnion? There shouldn't be a gap there, otherwise any allied soldier brave enough to get up there could simply through a grenade into the fighting compartment. It's difficult to envisage what the problem is without seeing the parts. If you could take a pic I can probably advise.

Cheers

Paul

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Dave

Here's some accurate info on the mantlet splash guard. Hope this helps...

Tiger ausf. E : Splash Guard for Mantlet

cheers

P

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
A beautiful looking Tiger Paul, top work mate.

Tony.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
DaveHere's some accurate info on the mantlet splash guard. Hope this helps...

Tiger ausf. E : Splash Guard for Mantlet

cheers

P
Thanks for the pictures Paul. They're exactly what I need.

The problem with the kit is the diameter of the trunnion behind the mantlet - part number N3. This is about 15mm less than the height of the gap in the turret itself. Having seen your pictures, I reckon I can make up the gap with a strip of thin plasticard. I'll put up some pictures when I've worked it all out.

Gern

View attachment 63947

View attachment 63948

Gun mantle 1.jpg

Gun mantle 2.jpg

T

TonyBv9

What a triumph. Great weathering - not OTT, but the tank certainly looks "used".

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks guys for the support it's much appreciated.

Just a note on the term trunnion (s): these are the bits that stick out of the side of a gun on which it pivots to elevate or be lowered. You can actually see the ends of these steel supports sticking out of the sides of the turret at the front.

When describing the area to Dave I was describing a general area and in doing so didn't really use this term properly. What I was trying to differentiate between was the plate armour at the front of the turret and the mantlet spash guard. I hope I haven't confused anyone.

Dave, I'm glad the info on that site was of use and I'm sure you'll be able to extend the plate armour to disguise the apparent gap.

Cheers

Paul

P

Polux

Excellent work Paul! Clean, tidy and detailed...top job.

Five stars from me too.

Polux

tanktrack

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
i was not on this forum 2 years ago so hi from me and well done on a fantastic tank ,sometimes less is more and this is spot on , i hope i have the staying power to finish any long term projects that may come up myself again well done 5 +++++.

steve