bismark kit

J

jeffsinclair

is anyone building the bismark part work? And is it the same manufacturer that did the the titanic a few years ago? I heard that kit was stunning when it was finished. Also any tips would be great as i've never built a wooden ship kit

cheers jeff

N

Nemesis

Hi Jeff.

I'm building that kit and am currently waiting my delivery of parts 16 to 19. It's my first wooden kit, too so I won't be of much help when it comes to tips, I'm afraid. I am a member of a site dedicated to the building of this kit at http://www.buildthebismarck.co.uk/ . You'll get all the tips you'll need on that specific build from there.

As for the Titanic, I'm pretty sure there was an Amati build of that as I've seen mention of it on the above site.

G

greywolf

I am building this one, a few problems, resin parts vary in size usualy too small for the 2nd planking. Why do Amati/Hacheete insist on installing the r/c gear so late in the build?. The bilge vents are reported to be wrong, which does seem the case. Hopefully it will get better. Seems to me the r/c version is an afterthought, I have e-mailed Amati asking about the final weight, their reply is they havn't worked it out yet!!!!! A bit worrying as we have whitemetal and brass fittings to come.

N

Nemesis

Hi Greywolf.

Apparently hachette are sending out corrected parts to replace the original parts they screwed up after complaints from german customers who got the partwork before us.

I considered making the RC version but decided to keep it as a display madel. I just don't wanna see it capsize n sink to the bottom of a lake after 2.5 years work, lol.

G

greywolf

They have a weird idea in issue 19, coat the inside with gauze bandage soaked in PVA. I wonder who thought that one up. As as tatic its ok or should be for the money with scope for super detailing, but as an R/C model thay have not thougth about it very well.

N

Nemesis

I've never built an RC model so I'm no expert but I've seen a number of ppl mention they've thrown that idea out in favour of using fibreglass resin used on cars.

G

greywolf

Thats exactly what I have used, one area I can't get at is the bow, part of the frame in the way. For R/C this build is not thought out very well, from what amati have told me they decided to r/c it at the last minute. Now hours of sanding, oh what joy!