Black and white photos !

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
To be honest I think it hasn't worked the paint on the figures is too shiny, I think the base looks better in b&w it shows more detail

B

Bunkerbarge

One thing to think about when playing with Black and White is to try to emulate the quality of the film available at the time. If you have a photo editing software package try adding a bit of grain and blur it very slightly. If you don't have photo editing software you always have the old fashioned options of covering the lens with a pair of tights with a hole in the middle or even wiping some Vaseline around the edge but it is a lot easier playing with a photo editing package!!

I agree the uniforms do look a bit shiny when compared with real pictures of the time.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Thanks for the info Richard , I took this off my phone and it has loads if different colour schemes , I took those in monochrome so I'll have a mess about and see what happens

I was thinking about the shine and that maybe due too the lights so I'll take some in pics in natural light and see what happens

W

Willi262

Seriously, when I get my new camera, I am going to make sure that it has a B/W and/or sepia setting. I have some shot ideas that I would love to try out, by my hands are tied at the moment.

I like the 2nd shot as well, it looks like a war correspondent was passing through the area and got lucky with this scene...

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Alan, the B&W pictures look too sharp. They need some sepia/brown tinge to them I think, maybe a bit of blurring too as has been suggested. The colour Mosquito looks good, I think you have nailed the colour effect of film from the period nicely there.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
The wife has a cracking camera that does all the things Richard mentioned but I have no idea how to use it lol

I'm only 46 and I have a problem using my alarm clock :sad:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Don't worry chap, I don't even know which day of the week it is.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
I,m with you on that Alan ,only the basics and still get it it wrong,have a love hate thing going on with my camera,

and wont touch the sons one, they have a bad scene off humor towards me :oops:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nicely done. It looks like a late afternoon/early evening scene.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
i like the play on shadows and light real makes a big diffidence to a pic, and seam to add a bit more ,works well

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Alan, I'm a point and click merchant, so know next to now't about taking pictures, but it seems to me because the original pictures look to be taken indoors, the light is too 'savage' for B&W, causing the shine and stark shadows...Go outdoors tomorrow, take them again and see the difference.....

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Like Ron I'm a point and hope merchant. I always take my pictures in natural light. I have on occasion created a black and white version using a simple piece of editing software. Sometimes they can be quite effective.

I like to match an original B+W image with my model.

Cheers

Steve