Blenheim landing...

A

AlasdairGF

So have never done a diorama before or anything like that, but there's a photo of my grandfather's plane landing in Greece (unconfirmed whether he's at the controls but likely) and I thought it would be a nice idea to replicate it - do a section of dusty airfield with the plane above it, gear down, flaps down, etc.

How do you pose a plane stationary in mid-air though? Don't want to just rest one of those clunky model aircraft stands on the runway!

View attachment 118002

211-squadron-i-blenheim-at-raf-paramythia-greece-w760.jpg

D

demon

Sounds like the only way unless you have it with mainwheels down tail up but then it's an unbalanced engineering nightmare

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Yep, clear acrylic rod. You will have to insert a tube into the fuselage of the model somewhere near the balance point. I can't remember the dimensions off the top of my head, but my rods are an interference fit with the tune. This allows the model to be easily removed for cleaning or repair.

View attachment 118007

This Me 262 has it's base plonked on top of a grass matt, but you could easily pass the rod through a larger mat, stick up a backdrop and do a decent job of replicating that image. Here's a Spitfire, not flying, in just such a situation.

View attachment 118008

It would be simple to have the Spitfire flying across the scene to landing

Cheers

Steve

IMG_4863_small_zpsra1pxvks.jpg

PFQ_web_small_zpsdbvc8d4l.jpg

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
If it's a large model you could have one rod at the front, and one at the rear. Easier than trying to find the centre of balance and it will be a lot more steady on the base.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
This is my 1/144 He-111 coming in doing a emergency landing.

As mentioned just use some clear acrylic rod, can get it in various thickness.

Si:smiling3:

B

Bunkerbarge

One thing worth considering. If you mount the propellers on proper ball bearings and put a bit of weight on the back of the shaft then a good blow on the front and they will spin for quite a long time. It is well worth it if you want some realistic pictures but it also gives a very realistic effect just to enjoy looking at.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
If it's a large model you could have one rod at the front, and one at the rear. Easier than trying to find the centre of balance and it will be a lot more steady on the base.
You don't need it smack on the centre of balance. That Me 262 is 1/32 scale and because of the way the cockpit tub fits I had to fit the tube/rod behind the perfect point. It's fine as long as you make sure that the tube that will take the rod is well fixed :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

A

AlasdairGF

Thanks for all the suggestions - sounds very doable, was worried it would be beyond me. Suspect the free-rotating props on ball bearings is a bridge to far, but would love to see that in action!