bloody bloody super glues !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!

tanktrack

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
hi guys i was trying to remove a top from a super glue bottle with a pair of pliers and it fell and spilled into my trousers and carpet and boy it smokes/burns . can anyone advise as to how to store and reuse super glue without it seizing solid , iv tried the nail varnish remover to limited results , and also what is good super glue and applicator.:please:

T

tecdes

Calm down Steve.

I use Locktite from B & Q. The containers have a spout with a cap which is a simple arrangement. Better than that to get the glue out the container has a pressure grip on each side. So you just press the sides to push out glue. Takes a bit of pressure so it is controlled.

I have some pound shop very small beakers, about 30mm high, and use them to decant a small amount of glue. Then wipe the top of any glue before sticking the cap back on. Then I use a C/A applicator or if you want a sewing needle with the top chopped form the threading end.

Comes in either straight usual thin or in a gel Power Flex. I have had the problems you have experienced with getting topps off. Not had this with Loctite at all providing you keep the spot clean

Laurie

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I use a local brand with is cheap and lasts a long time. I doubt if you can get it 'over there' its made by Danalim a/s

Erm that smoke that comes up. you do know that is very nasty stuff. I hope that you did not sit there breathing it in.

I had a similar thing happen once only it was not in a pair of pliers, It was in my hand.... Yup, super glue fist! The mild panic was averted with loads of hot soapy water. This prevented my hand being stuck togther, and the remains was removed over the next week with constant scrubbing and picking!!

I find that a wet cloth is just as good for cleaning the spout before putting the lid on. One thing CA will not stick is water!!!!

Ian M

First Name
Dave
I use tubes of Loctite and find they are less prone to the cap seizing on ifyou store them upright.That way the nozzle isn't full all the time.

G

GazB

Could have been worse, you could have glued your trousers to the carpet...

I buy cheap superglue from Screwfix which comes in a sensible pot, doesn't go off and is very reasonably priced:-

No Nonsense Superglue 50g | Screwfix.com

rather than use the spout I unscrew the top and decant a little into a small container and apply with a pin

Something which surprised me was that if i leave a few drops in an open container to the air it's still useable and not gone off the next day, it just thickens into a gel

T

tecdes

Boy o boy.

Never mind trousers & carpet Gaz.

It could have been very much closer to home than the carpet. Cringe could have been close to being a really hairy experience.

Laurie

tanktrack

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
well the glue stuck my trousers to my knee and i can tell you it was sore getting it off lol the better half wont find the patch of glued carpet i hope , i tried to absorb the spill with a cloth and it and the carpet were smoldering i kid you not. i think i will give the locktight a go and look at screwfix and see .

T

tecdes

Did you not get a picture Steve ?

I like disaster pictures.

Laurie

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Sorry to hear about your superglue debarcle Steve, smoking trousers glued to your leg :grinball1:, welcome to the "sticking things together with superglue club" think most of us here have done it, I certainly have, mostly little bits of plastic and wire to my finger, haven't tried photoetch yet, no doubt that'll stick to my finger too.

Thanks for the tip Ian, I've thrown out two or three half used containers because I couldn't get the cap off.

Have fun.

Tony.