Bobmf

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Having seen Colin M's lovely Lancaster I got my finger out and finished this little lot this morning. (Should have been working but Heh Ho!)

1/72 is not my normal scale and I found all except the Hurricane a bit of a fiddle ( sorry Airfix). Basically they didn't fit very well.

I put them on "sticks" as I've only ever seen the three together in flight, not so close together though.

Cheers

Steve

View attachment 19215

BOBHurri.jpg

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Well done Stona, you certainly did pull your finger out. They do look good in formation, not something I was able to do with mine. So airfix decals were ok for you then ?

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
looks great to me ,steve,especially as you say 1/72 isnt your usual tipple.They look good together in flight too,these clear sticks are popping up everywhere!!(is this kind of like an airfix "dogfight treble"?!!):grinball2:

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
Having seen Colin M's lovely Lancaster I got my finger out and finished this little lot this morning. (Should have been working but Heh Ho!)1/72 is not my normal scale and I found all except the Hurricane a bit of a fiddle ( sorry Airfix). Basically they didn't fit very well.

I put them on "sticks" as I've only ever seen the three together in flight, not so close together though.

Cheers

Steve
Nice work Steve, very impressive.

Andy

P

Plastickitbasher

You've got yourself a most impressive display there as it looks the part

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Thanks chaps. As for the decals I'd heard bad things about Airfix. This was the first time I'd done any of their stuff for years and the decals were fine. I think I gave them a couple of sploshes of microsol to get them to settle in, then sealed with a coat of Klear.

Steve

L

Len lfc

Thats the one of the best Scale Models i've ever seen, love them, i'm building the revell British Legends set now, i did build the airfix one when i was a kid, but that was simply a quick build.

I'd say so far, the Revell BBMF is the better choice, but what i'd like to know is, How exactly did you make a stand for them, & how did you attatch it?

I'd be interested on making one similar myself...

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
How exactly did you make a stand for them, & how did you attatch it?I'd be interested on making one similar myself...
I'm glad you like it. The models have gone to a new home now so I can't get a photo right away but I've got the sketch plan I did for it. It had to fit a corner shelf .

The base is one half of a 130mm x 180mm clear acrylic picture frame.

The lancaster sits on a 5mm clear acrylic rod. I drilled half the depth of the base in the centre of the 180mm side 15mm from the front edge and used a drop of superglue to attach the rod. I fitted a plastic tube into the body of the Lanc running the depth of the bomb bay. The acrylic rod is a tightish fit into the tube, so the Lanc sits nicely with no need for glue. This means it can easily be removed for a clean. I can't remember how long the rod is (I think it was a trial and error dimension) but the Lanc sits at an "altitude" of 600mm.

For the fighters I used 3mm acrylic rods. These are attached in the same way to the base 15mm from the "back" corners. They are bent out at 30 degrees from vertical and then the top 20mm bent back to vertical for the fighters to sit on.They are also rotated to the rear to give a little more clearance. I rotated them to give as much space as possible between the models whilst still allowing the display to fit on the shelf. The fighters have a (smaller) plastic tube running the depth of their fuselages and fit in the same way. They fly at an "altitude" of about 1100mm.

I heat the rods for bending using a pan of boiling water, quickly shaping them to a plan I have drawn on a plastic folder (it does get wet!)

I had to make some fine adjustments to the fighter rods to get them to "fly" in a realistic attitude. I find I can make small adjustments by heating the relevant part of the rod with SWMBO's hair dryer - be careful as they are easily broken, I know!

The holes on the underside of the models are surprisingly discreet, particularly once they are sitting on their rods.

I'll try to get a photo sent from their new home.

Hope this helps - sorry to be so long winded!

Cheers

Steve