Brian's 1/200 HMS Nelson Build

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
ITS Looks great Brian really like the platein on the hull detail an the prop shaft an is that all she had was twin sharfts i would have thought she would have had 4 props as most big battle wagon had very surprised on that but lookin good an more pics when you get round to it
atb
chrisb

Bri62

SMF Supporter
First Name
Brian
Just wait til you get to the square windows. (Top tip buy plasters ).
Ian not sure but the instructions say's to remove detail from those 4 square porthole and fill I thought it was just the Rodney that had them.

Just had a look and it has the round portholes in 1945

20230111_063341.jpgThe_Royal_Navy_during_the_Second_World_War_A29860.jpg

Last edited:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Just seen this one Brian, some great work so far, and rather large. I've now pulled up a seat at the back.
WELL Ian im up at the front with the rable near the door in case of Matron payin Brain a visit as he is a newbie an in case there is any tea or cakes an to watch brians build close up to learn more as this should be a crackin build as ive never seen a 1/200 ship built before an ive been lookin at them size kits in the model shop for a USS NIMITZ CVN 68 kit as if i can afford it id buy one but i dont think they make her yet ? as i wish now i hadnt sold my big 1/144 th scale Nimitz as that was a crackin model but really to big to keep in our house but a 1/200 th may fit in as i love the carriers
chrisb

Last edited:

Bri62

SMF Supporter
First Name
Brian
USS NIMITZ CVN 68 kit as if i can afford it id buy one but i dont think they make her yet ?
chrisb
Chris not seen a Nimitz class carrier in 1/200......I actually went onboard USS Nimitz in 1981 when she was anchored in stokes bay, there massive :smiling3: I was on HMS Leander at the time tiny in comparison

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
AN What parts of her are you working on now Brian ?
chrisb

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Chris not seen a Nimitz class carrier in 1/200......I actually went onboard USS Nimitz in 1981 when she was anchored in stokes bay, there massive :smiling3: I was on HMS Leander at the time tiny in comparison
YOU Lucky devil as nimitz came an anchored out in the solent but i missed her as i dint know at the time but went all the way around JFK when she was here in the solent an yes they are massive part of the reason i like them an the design a more bueatyfull ship ive not seen every thing on her looks right in my opinion an yesa R/N leander would be small compared to the carrier as JFK WAS massive an she not as big as nimitz but i videod her for over an hr an really enjoyed lookin round the ship our new ones are no comparion in my opinion
chrisb

Yes Brian, the HULL has round portholes. The superstructures though.... Captains bridge, etc. pretty sure they are square windows.

Not as a kit but.... Here she is https://www.motionrc.com/products/b...700mm-67-usa-aircraft-carrier-rtr-bnc1015-003 (All 5'6"or 16cm of it). yours for a couple of thousand freedom tokens

I'm waiting (still) for the Ark Royal.
AN Ian thanks for showin me that ive put it in my favoerites but cant afford that an if from the usa just think of the custom fee ugh id rather not
cheers Ian
chrisb

Today I have the opticians then going to do some more porthole drilling and a bit more PE :smiling3: I'll post later today.
Brian
LOVELY Brian looking forward to that as love big ships kits an may think of gettin one if can afford it after ive finished my tiger an my planes big kits as got to have something to build as i dont want to veditate lol
chrisb

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Good progress Brian. That's a lot of etch to get through and plenty of other time consuming tasks to do. But it will all be worth it in the end.
Cheers
Paul

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hi all done another couple of hours, got to say the fit isn't brilliant but nothing a bit of filler won't fix:smiling3:

View attachment 471440View attachment 471441View attachment 471442View attachment 471443View attachment 471444
The fit on the funnel looks bad on the photo but it really isn't that bad.

Brian
HI Brian well the funnel looks ok to me with the P/E an the searchlights look a nice bit of modeling an that mast look very intricate an is some of the mast P/E as well as it looks like it ? i dont think i could do this as i get the shakes now an again but fantastic modeleing very well done my freind
chrisb

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Great detail and the PE is very well done. That ladder up to the starfish whatsit looks fiddling the extreme. Funnels look good.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
HMS Leander eh? :smiling3:
... The one that the rest of the class were remarked as ;)
When an apprentice in Devonport in the 80's,I worked on a few of em.. not to mention other,(what I would call "Classic"),ships of that era :smiling3:

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Cracking work Brian, sure shows me that I have a long way to go in this ship building lark and of course PE. My PE skills sure need improvement