Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looking good Brian.
I had a tidy up in the photos as there where several duplicates. Hope you dont mind.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
really fine work there brian an the detail is amazein keep it comein
chrisb

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
VERY nice work bri an the detail is outstandin very well done my freind an yes im lookin forward to seeing the yammy goin to geather in a build blog on here brilliant work
chrisb

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
What do you guy's think ....too dark? found this colour pic online
I would be wary of colourized black & white pics- they are probably not very rigorously researched.your best bet would be to try and find pics a preserved ship of the era(good luck with that!)
or have a look at modern cruise ships-their decks are almost always pale. Of course they would be darker when wet.....
By the way , a most interesting and incredibly neat build!

Bri62

SMF Supporter
First Name
Brian
I would be wary of colourized black & white pics- they are probably not very rigorously researched.your best bet would be to try and find pics a preserved ship of the era(good luck with that!)
or have a look at modern cruise ships-their decks are almost always pale. Of course they would be darker when wet.....
By the way , a most interesting and incredibly neat build!
Thanks for your input Neil :smiling3: All the ships I served on had metal decks :smiling3:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Brian. A great build and it's come together quickly.
Personally I think your deck experiment is a bit too dark. In reality the darker shade would be around the edges and into corners whereas the rest would be bleached and scrubbed. Another (controversial) consideration is scale effect - models often look more realistic when painted in lighter colours than the real subject. (Can of worms opened!)

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Excellent build Brian.
I too think the deck is too dark. Too my mind, the untouched deck looks very close.

As I posted earlier, these decks were scrubbed and scrubbed and......

If they were teak, this timber weathers to a very pale and insipid shade of beige,

Try a ' Hit and miss' running with the decking in a light / medium beige. I doubt any brown would look right.

A tree has a habit of growing it's timber in a different shade to it's mate growing next door, so a big deck would have these shades in abundance. The fixer would just grab the nearest board to fix. It might even end up as a block or strip of a particular shade. I fitted out a few teak decks when I could kneel down (including my own modest craft) and can testify to the variation of shades. Such things are to be expected..... ;)

Keep in mind though - Your model, your choice. And if you are happy with it, then that's all that matters. ;)

Ron

Last edited:

Bri62

SMF Supporter
First Name
Brian
As I posted earlier, these decks were scrubbed and scrubbed and......

If they were teak, this timber weathers to a very pale and insipid shade of beige.
I totally agree Ron, I'm thinking of leaving it as is, but it is a bit new looking for my taste.
Brian

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looking very good indeed.
Could I ask if at all possible that remember to take the photos in landscape format. I am sure that 99% of the members here read the forum on a pc screen and the tall thin format of these new fangled mobil telephones make for some very tall narrow pictures. Also with taking them in landscape they are also larger on the screen = better for all to see the incredible detail.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
WELL hi Bri lovely modeling an how long is she at 1,350 th ?
chrisb

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Just had a catch up Brian. This is coming along superbly. As to the small stuff, it’s the combined effect of all the detail parts that really lift a model like this. Tedious at the time, but well worth it when they’re done.