Brian's 1/48 Dkm u-Boat Type Viic U-552

Bri62

SMF Supporter
First Name
Brian
Ok guys what colour for the diesel engine I found a mint green and a light grey and the manual says Hemp (my Hobby) what do you think? I reckon green was a museum colour and not a sea going colour, but green will look good

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Ok guys what colour for the diesel engine I found a mint green and a light grey and the manual says Hemp (my Hobby) what do you think? I reckon green was a museum colour and not a sea going colour, but green will look good
Oooo, that's a good question. I have seen brand new engines in a few colours! Will yours be a working boat or one straight from the builders?
I can ask on the RN site and see if any of their history buffs have a clue!

Posed the question. See if anyone knows!!!

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
In the Merchant Navy, all the diesel gensets ( nearest to a U-boat engine ), were painted either buff, or bathroom green! Idea was that oil leaks would show up against a light background colour.
Dave
That figures, most of Sunseekers engines, both Volvo and the other supplier, (who I forget now) were white. As you say, for showing leaks etc.
I imagine a wartime submarines engines would be very oily simply because of the environment, poor ventilation and enclosed.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
As a good reference - watch 'Das Boot', the original film ( not the TV series ) - I reckon that shows the interior of an operational boat as near as possible to actuality. You can practically smell the oil, sweat, and other things!
Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Superb program. What really impressed me was the recreation of condensation running down the walls. It’s obvious when you think about it, cold water cooling the hull and the crew’s breath therefore condensing on the surface, but I’d never seen it recreated before. The book is superb as well, by the way…….

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
When you consider the fatality rate of U-boat crews was over 70%, the men must have had incredible courage - in a steel tube, only a few of them knowing was going on - just waiting & listening & knowing that a close depth charge attack would cause damage that could result in certain death.
I only visited one sub, on a Navy Day, HMS Alliance & it was claustrophobic - even when she was tied up alongside & hatches open, not for me!
Dave