Broken Undercart "again"

T

tecdes

Took three models to get into my grey matter that once on the undercarriage needs protection. Also little aerials which have a fascinating way of snapping off & disappearing in toot the ether : for ever.

Solved it by buying from my upholsterers a 2" slab of foam. Bought blue as parts then stand out.

Cut the foam (using bread knife ---- Wife from kitchen I wish you would not-------) into a variety of slabs. When the undercart is fixed I place a foam slab top & bottom on each of the wings & tape together (foam overhangs wings so tape does not touch paint). Do the same for the tail wheel another casualty case. You can then work happily away on top & underneath the model. Only remove foam when it is ready for the shelf.

Also use a slab of foam to rest & protect delicate pieces when working on them.

Laurie

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Very ingenious Laurie.

I largely avoid the problem by adding the "dangly bits" like the undercarriage,aerials,pitots and the like as late as I possibly can in construction. For those irritating molded on antenna posts,the ones on top of vertical tail fins, I resort to protecting them with a ball of Blu-Tac.

Cheers

Steve

T

tecdes

Very kind of you Steve to attach ingenious but any ideas I get or more out of pure & probably frustrated necessity.

Laurie