Brush, Aerosol or Airbrush?

J

Jay_Moz

Hi All, I'm just starting out in the modelling world and I'm unsure what approach to take with painting.

I have had one previous go at modelling in which I brush painted the main body of the aircraft. The finish was not brilliant so I have been looking into the possibility of purchasing an Airbrush and compressor. However I have also noticed that you can buy Aerosol paints that are considerably cheaper.

So the big question is, what would you recommend?

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I'm not a fan of aerosol paints which leaves either brush painting or airbrushing.

There are some fine brush painters around who achieve tremendous finishes this way.

I'm not one of them and have been airbrushing for many years. I still brush paint detail,figures etc.

I believe that airbrushing is the way to go for most sorts of modelling but some will disagree. It is not as difficult as some would have you believe,decent results can be achieved fairly quickly though,like anything else,technique develops with practice.

Cheers

Steve

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
Aerosols are only cheaper if you don't use much, I use aerosol primers and varnish but for painting I use my airbrush, you would be surprised how much you can cover with for example a Vallejo 17ml bottle of modelair

First Name
Chris
Coming from someone who only started modelling again about 4 years ago I'd go with the airbrush. I brush painted my first 5 or 6 aircraft and unless you're a brush painting genius (I'm not) the finish was just dire compared to even my first attempt at airbrushing. I have great respect for those who can get great results with a brush.

Regards

Chris

T

tecdes

Hi Jay

I started about 18 months ago. Contemplated hand brushing then went for air brushing. You get some very nice finishes. Think the nice thing apart form the nice smooth finish is that the panel lines & detail remains as the paint finish with airbrushing is so thin.

With airbrushing you also have the opportunity of mixing whereas with cans this is not possible. Also with airbrushing you have the luxury of being able to change needle/nozzle sizes & also the pressure you spray at by adjusting the compressor. This widens the use you can make of airbrushing. You will find I am sure that small parts you will still hand brush.

As John mentions a 17ml bottle of Vallejo goes a long way. There are plenty of manufacturers of paints both in Acrylics (water based) & Oil based. I would say after my short experience that go with acrylics first. Vallejo is so easy to use. Once reasonably competent you can then try others as they are quite different.

Best thing I found when you get your airbrush is not to rush in to painting a model. Just get a few empty plastic drink bottles & practice. Close & from a far adjusting pressures. Gives a great grounding in the art. Every time you use the brush you will get more competent & find numerous ways to use it.

Laurie

J

Jay_Moz

Thanks for the advice. From what you have said it definatley looks as though the Airbrush path is the one to take.

L

lemoff

I have found that the gravity fed brushes are a lot easier (you just need to drop some paint into the top instead of siphoning from a pot below the brush). Also, dual action is great. This means that you can control the air and paint independently (easier than it sounds). You can pick up some very cheap airbrushes and they can be used with the canned air (cheaper than a compressor as you might not want to lay out that sort of investment on something you have never tried).

T

tecdes

My experience is the same as Chris. I tried both & gravity & the other type (forgotten the name).

With the gravity type you have immediate control over mixing paints & thinning retarding direct into the gravity cup. Nice & clean & easy.

If you go i nthis direction keep in touch Jay with any difficulties or info required.

Laurie

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Gravity fed,dual action.

Whatever other bells and whistles you invest in I would suggest that this is the sort of airbrush best suited to the hobby.

Cheers

Steve

J

Jay_Moz

Last night I took the plunge and purchased a reasonably priced compressor & airbrush set. This should arrive next week. I'l keep you all informed on how I get on, Thanks for the advice!

Cheers,

Jay