Brush painting over Mr color, advice if possible

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Due to problems brush painting Mr color, I am searching for a good brush paint to paint over either Mr surfacer primer or mr color, ie Painting bridge decks, gun platforms etc.

Is Vallejo compatible for example! Have had a go with Mr color using all sorts of additives but still horrible lol.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Is the problem that brushing Mr. Color over Mr. Color lifts up the dried paint underneath? If so, all you need to do is use another paint that isn’t a lacquer. Vallejo should work fine, as would Tamiya X- and XF-series, for example. Or pretty much any other paint that isn’t a lacquer.

I’ve said it before, but it’s easy to just do a little test for questions like this: paint a swatch with the paint you’ve got on a the model (or are thinking of putting on it), and when it’s dry, see what happens if you paint the other paint of your choice over it. Nothing to lose but a little bit of paint :smiling3:

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I gave up trying to brush paint Mr Color a long time ago Bob. With it being lacquer it just reactivates the paint underneath and like you say, looks horrible lol

I've brush painted Vallejo model colour & model air, AK 3rd gen, Citadel , and Army Painter acrylics over Mr Color & Mr Surfacer, so know they work.

Adhesion isn't the best, especially if it's one of the glossy Mr Color paints, so can rub off sharp edges if you're not careful.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I gave up trying to brush paint Mr Color a long time ago Bob. With it being lacquer it just reactivates the paint underneath and like you say, looks horrible lol

I've brush painted Vallejo model colour & model air, AK 3rd gen, Citadel , and Army Painter acrylics over Mr Color & Mr Surfacer, so know they work.

Adhesion isn't the best, especially if it's one of the glossy Mr Color paints, so can rub off sharp edges if you're not careful.
Thanks Andy, sounds good to me. Really like Mr color so need to get other paints for brush work

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I have some Vallejo so experiment on the way, not worried about the accuracy on this practice build.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
As long as the paint you are putting on top of a solvent based paint, yes even solvent base acrylics, is water base you will be fine.
These issues are one of the reasons I really like Vallejo. They work for me. Soveregn hobbies color coats are also very good as they also brush and spray very well and dry the same colour/finish regardless. Just a pity they are so hard to get hold of now outside the UK.