Brushes

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi all, I have noticed that despite my efforts to clean my brushes, they develop a hook at the tip. Any pointers as to why and how I can prevent it.

Cheers Scottie

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I'll be interested in the answers you get Scottie. I'm the same - carefully clean my brushes but quite a few have developed little hooked ends.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I've noticed unnatural bristles often do this regardless of cleaning & storage methods. My sables & other naturals do not despite some are my father's sign painting brushes.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I asked a very similar question in a former life. It seems to be regarded as pretty standard for synthetic brushes

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I just trim them off as they're "rough use" brushes.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
It happens with synthetics. I’ve had it with all makes of brush no matter what the manufacturer calls them. I’ve never found a way to stop it or cure it, so tend to stick with natural hair. It might be a bit dearer to start with but it lasts far longer in use. Cheap synthetic brushes are great for rough work though, they are very hard wearing.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
My experience is much like the posts above: pointed synthetic brushes all seem to develop a hooked tip eventually. Flat ones seem largely immune to it, so that’s something I guess.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks for the feedback gents, it's good to know it's not something I'm not doing or not doing correctly.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
On the back of this thread I have acquired a couple of sable hair brushes for delicate fine work.
So thanks to Paul for raising the issue and to you all for your comments. :thumb2: