BSPP adapters arrived; fitting up the compressor system

J

johnpipe108

Airbrush 1/4" braided hose uses 1/4FBSPP fittings to connect to typical airbrush compressors; the proper fittings are wanted, particularly with regulators which often come with 1/4NPT (US) fittings factory installed on the output, sometimes on the input as well.

The Paasche R-75 was sent instead of the Badger 50-054 which I ordered; it has the 1/4NPT fitting solidly torqued and loc-tited at the OEM. I found out that Northern California's major hydraulic distributor has one of its two stores right here, less than a mile from home. All due to out wine industry (though it's hard for me to think of "wine" as "industrial"), and the Napa, CA store had the fittings in stock; the gentleman visits the Santa Rosa store every week, so I did not have to pay any shipping!

Here are the two major fittings, 4FP-4MBSPP and 4MP-4FBSPP; note the 'UK' on the left, the British Standard Parallel Pipe system is popular with hydraulics worldwide, and most of the bits are made in the UK:

After prepping the regulator, I put on the FNPT to MBSPP fitting, then connect the airbrush hose:

At the other end, the FNPT to FBSPP connects to the compressor:

All systems good and air-tight (minor leakage from the cheap Harbor Freight coil-hose swivel end), and I've started putting some plain old ink in the fine-tipped airbrush to start practice.

I am now a happy camper in the airbrush department. :smile7:

Regards, John

M

m1ks

Good stuff, what kind of things well you be using the ink for? It's not something I've ever used and typically you only hear of it in washes.

You have a valid argument for wine drinking now I guess, you're helping industry, :smiling3:

J

johnpipe108

\ said:
Good stuff, what kind of things well you be using the ink for? It's not something I've ever used and typically you only hear of it in washes.You have a valid argument for wine drinking now I guess, you're helping industry, :smiling3:
I've got a fine-tipped brush (.25mm), and old-fashioned fountain-pen ink flows through the finest aperture, it's about a hair thicker than water, and perfect for playing with a brand new double-action airbrush, with which topic I have no prior experience. Ink for practice is very practical, and also it can show you how fine a line your can get with a typical medium tip. I notice that doing scribbles and trying to write name, draw lines, I don't have a good, artistically stable hand, and ink is easier to fiddle with and practice with than paint. Also, "airbrush" paint is brush-ready only on a medium tip relative to fine, for which paint needs thinning.

BTW, the bit at the compressor end should read MNPT insted of FNPT (pipe designations tend to be confusing and confusable whether NPTF (National Pipe Tapered Fuel), NPP (parallel), BSP (tapered) BSPP (parallel) and, as it turns out, BSPP is obsolete, having been replace by an ISO number, but everyone still calls it "BSPP"! Plus, the BSP female will mate and seal with both BSP male and BSPP male!

If only I was a judge of wine; a glass of wine a day is good for the heart! And, have a couple small slices of good cheese and a slice or two of French, Italian, or Sourdough bread, yum ... I'm getting hungry

Last edited: