Build first or paint first ?

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
I've watched some of the guys on this forum almost complete builds before a lick of paint goes on. I know on aircraft builds the cockpit, and any internal bits, needs painting before final assembly, but should I then complete the rest of the build including the fiddly bits such as the undercarriage legs and wheel wells, flaps and air brakes, etc before priming and painting, the stuff that is difficult to reach when built.

This may sound like a newby question but it's bugging the life out of me.

Any advice please.

tony.

Ps I'm a hairy sticker not an air brusher.

First Name
Adrian
I always build and paint as I go, I dont paint on the sprue either, looking at a previous post that puts me in the minority :smiling3:

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Thats how I do it at the moment Ade, but I've had some bad painting fails recently and wondered if anyone had some advice,

Tony.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well my way is like this.

Air craft: cock pit and all the internals, build and paint. then the fuselage minus any break off parts; antennae etc. If there are separate flaps or airbreak type things undercaridge and doors they are also left off and painted loose. Once all the bits are painted, they go one the painted fuselage.

Armour is about the same, interior if any, then as much as possible gets built then painted. Tracks and tools are a last minute add on.

Ian M

T

tecdes

In the end Tony I read a lot & then developed my own way.

Never paint on the sprue as found you cannot prepare the pieces properly. Damage occurs to paint I found when fixing it into place. Also depending how you work you can then end up after fixing to find that it is necessary to mask up the finished piece. All liable for damage.

If work is needed such as filling then I do that in situ as for me there is no other way. Also scraping parts to glue is boring work & also damages paintwork adjacent.

A lot depends on if you are hand or air brushing. I airbrush & that affects my method of working. Even small pieces I get together all of those with the same colour.

I have developed a method of working in sections. Pound shop : bought a load of plastic containers of different sizes. I cut from the sprue all the bits for one section & they all go into the container. So I work through say a couple of pages of instructions sprue cutting to a convenient point. Then go thro preparing all the contents of the boxes. Then sort out the same colours & airbrush etc. Back in their boxes & then assemble.

My way.

Laurie

Also find this way gives a good indicator of the best way to go about construction as you know what is coming.

C

chezzagaga

oh no. thats me in trouble then. ive painted all my little bits on the sprue.:oops: things like the cockpit. wheels and engines parts..

T

tecdes

\ said:
oh no. thats me in trouble then. ive painted all my little bits on the sprue.:oops: things like the cockpit. wheels and engines parts..
No. Described my way that suits me Chezza. Nothing is right or wrong in this game. I am always changing my technique as I find other ways. If it suits you keep it.

Not only technique I find but the way you find more pleasurable.

Laurie

C

chezzagaga

hi laurie. oh thats ok then. :xyxthumbs: you seem very experienced in this game so im happy to listen to your advice. :D