Building a landing-light assembly

O

oldHooker

Here's a guide for scratchbuilding a landing light assembly that canbe used on airliners, or any other aircraft build.**Here's the step by step;Using a new blade, carefully cut out the hole for the landinglights; I'm using the Airfix 1/144 Boeing 727-200 for thisdemonstration:The next step was to pump some countour putty in the hole,....then pressed my finger into the opening and rubbed it sideways to geta smooth surface.I want the putty to set-up a little bit, creating a firm anchor forthe pins, so it is allowed to dry in front of the fan for 30 minutes,then painted flat black. (see the cut pins in the background)I sanded an edge on the cut pins for penetration purposes, andcarefully inserted them into clay like putty and this is what it looked like... I then cut a small square of clear tape, affixed it to the top (orbottom) of the opening, then laid it over the hole using a straightedge so as not to depress the tape Now I trimmed a "mounting frame" around the opening and removed the

It is now ready for the final paint trimming.(if the cut's too big, fix it with the trim work)

Now, you can go ahead and paint the wing however you want, thenremove the tape "lens"..... now you have clean plastic to affix a newlens to, which has this time been carefully measured & cut.Brush an aluminum frame around the lens and you're good to go.

It's an easy fix that lets the landing lights stand out...(especially when light reflects on them!!)

Take care,

Frank

Last edited: