C17A

• Thread starter Deleted member 3568
  • Start date
D

dubster72

I would airbrush the area's around the lights, fit them & continue with the construction.

Then you can mask off the lights & a section around them. Much less fiddly & similar to Joes suggestion.

D

Deleted member 3568

Yes thanks both will probably go with spraying area first then masking after .

D

Deleted member 3568

Hi all here is where I am on the plane now

at least the fuselage is together.

First Name
Dave
That's a big beast.Lost of joins to sand by the look of it.

D

Deleted member 3568

Oh by the way I tried on a piece of scrap plasticard spraying round a hole then making over it and spraying again but I found it was visible where the masking tape was left a line so you could see it had been masked off so I went with pva glue to mask with(although it was a bit of a bu@@er to get off) it didn't show at all.

D

Deleted member 3568

Hi guys and Galls you know the numbers and letters on the side of the plane are they like registration numbers on a car, or can I just randomly mix them up for my own livery. Sorry if it's a stupid question.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Hi Ken. If you mean the registration of the aircraft, then each country has it's own International Civil Aviation Organisation approved system. Any other insignia is up to you. Military aircraft have codes and numbers according to their own conventions. As I'm unsure which country you want your C-17 to be registered to, here is a list of ICAO registration prefixes: http://www.avcodes.co.uk/regprefixcur.asp

Some research may be required to find out how they serial their registrations after the prefix. Some use three or four numbers, some use a mixture.

At the end of the day you can of course go completely artistic and have your own serials.

D

Deleted member 3568

ok thanks joe I think I will do my own then. I will just mix up the numbers which came with the kit.

anyway here is where I am at the moment. I have sprayed the red all over the top of the plane as I am not sure where the red pinstripe will go yet, or even if it will be a pinstripe also I thought it would show up where more filling is needed. My next job is to mask the red up(after it is dry) then glue the wings on and fill any gaps then do the dark blue. That's my plan anyway. Not sure what to do the underside of the wings, the dark blue of the top or the light blue of the belly?

D

Deleted member 3568

flipping heck and words of a less polite tone, whats happening here, everything was going ok.

then this happened

the only thing i did different was I noticed I was getting a bit of bleeding under the masking on the light blue with the red, so I gave it a coat of red round the masking tape to seal the edges before I sprayed the blue. The red was dry before I sprayed the blue so whats happened. I suppose now I will have to strip all the paint off and start again. I thought it was too good when I didnt ave to fill any unsilghtly gaps on the wings.

D

Deleted member 3568

Would have looked good too

little bit of bleeding onto the light blue to deal with but would have been happy with that.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Give it another coat or brush the ugly bits out. An easy fix I would think Ken.

D

Deleted member 3568

Don't understand what happened there though will try another coat when dry but I have a feeling it will do it agan

D

Deleted member 3568

Well i got some decal paper delivered today and here is the result of the first attempt

View attachment 85495

you cant really see from the photo but first prob is the decal is see through and the paint colour underneath shows through, which would probably be ok if the plane were all one colour but its not, so anyone got any ideas how to get round this.

IMAG1657.jpg

First Name
Gregg
I think the problem of the red bleeding through, could be because it will be thicker in the scribe lines and may have needed to cure longer than the flat surfaces.

Many reds, and some deep blues, take longer to cure because of the pigments used in them.

Push a toothpick into the areas that have bled to see if it leaves any marks. If it does then it still hasn't cured fully yet.

Or try a dark pinwash in the these areas to pick out the scribed lines.

As regards the transfers, have you any more you can double up with to obscure the colours beneath!

Just an idea.

Gregg

D

Deleted member 3568

Hi all printed the decals twice no register probs and seems to have sorted the prob so am back on it again

not very good at windows bit of a mess really but the best I could get it.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
It's coming along well Ken. Pin washes are quite satisfying aren't they? Watching that liquid do it's thing inside the recessed lines.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
I like it Ken, although I wouldn't practise painting on your leg...:rolleyes:

Does look good though, nice colour scheme too.

Si:smiling3: