Captured Bf 109 G-6 at Wright Field (Ohio/USA)

B

BigZimmo

May, 8th 1943......North Africa:

USAAF-Personnel found an abandoned german Fighter at an Airfield south of Tunis. It was a Bf 109 G-6 Trop.

The Aircraft was dissassembled and shipped to the U.S. where it was reassembled and recieved a US-Camouflage and US-Insignia.

The "Gustav" has been extensively testet until October 1944.

After a landing accident the 109 was scrapped.

I build this little diorama for a model-competition in a german forum last year.

The scale is 1/48.

Bf 109 G-6 from Academy.

Talking Pilots from CMK

Officer and Personnel from Hasegawa and ICM

Jeep from Hasegawa.

Hope you like it! :smiling:

View attachment 60820

View attachment 60821

View attachment 60822

View attachment 60823

View attachment 60824

View attachment 60825

View attachment 60826

View attachment 60827

Bf 109 G-6 EB 102 (53).JPG

Bf 109 G-6 EB 102.JPG

Bf 109 G-6 EB 102 (4).JPG

Bf 109 G-6 EB 102 (5).JPG

Bf 109 G-6 EB 102 (7).JPG

Bf 109 G-6 EB 102 (14).JPG

Bf 109 G-6 EB 102 (28).JPG

Bf 109 G-6 EB 102 (45).JPG

Last edited:

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
What a cracking dio mate. A slice of history, brought to life in great style.

A 5 star build.

Tony.

B

Bunkerbarge

Again a great diorama tells a story as this does. I also think you have made a stunning job of that chequered jeep! Great shots and a really good diorama.

Can you believe the American's couldn't land the thing!

A

andyrobs

Hi Zimmo, cracking dio mate, very impressive work indeed.

Cheers, Andrew

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Very nice dio. I like always like the juxtaposition of markings with an "enemy" aircraft.

The Americans weren't the only ones who found the Bf 109 a handful on landing,many young Germans found out the hard way that it could be tricky.

Cheers

Steve

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Very nice dio. I like always like the juxtaposition of markings with an "enemy" aircraft.The Americans weren't the only ones who found the Bf 109 a handful on landing,many young Germans found out the hard way that it could be tricky.

Cheers

Steve
And the idiot who damaged Black 6 after some RAF engineers Lavished years of their spare time and effort restoring it to flying condition.

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
superb dio in every aspect the colour of the jeep a big the figures are a nice touch a big five from me

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
And the idiot who damaged Black 6 after some RAF engineers Lavished years of their spare time and effort restoring it to flying condition.
That would be ACM Sir John Allison who was C-in-C Strike Command at the time (1997).

He suffered a mechanical problem and tried to land,gear down,fast on the runway but was forced to take off again to avoid the M11. He then made another landing in a ploughed field and almost inevitably flipped over.

Sir John hung in his harness for 45 minutes whilst rescue crews lifted the aircraft and dug him out. The Bf 109 has no side door or kick out panel. This was at his insistence as he did not want the rescuers to cut him free,causing further damage to the aircraft.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
A

AJay

Very impressive, unique, and like the story behind the scene you've created! Top marks :smiling3:

First Name
Dave
\ said:
That would be ACM Sir John Allison who was C-in-C Strike Command at the time (1997). He suffered a mechanical problem and tried to land,gear down,fast on the runway but was forced to take off again to avoid the M11. He then made another landing in a ploughed field and almost inevitably flipped over.

Sir John hung in his harness for 45 minutes whilst rescue crews lifted the aircraft and dug him out. The Bf 109 has no side door or kick out panel. This was at his insistence as he did not want the rescuers to cut him free,causing further damage to the aircraft.

Cheers

Steve
I will left him off that one then!.Im an aircraft engineer so am a bit biased I suppose.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
I will left him off that one then!.Im an aircraft engineer so am a bit biased I suppose.
Well he still pranged the blo*dy thing,Sir Air Chief Marshall or not,so I think you've got a fair point :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve