Captured Bf109G-14/U4 completed

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I’ve just managed to squeeze in a final victim for this GB.I haven’t done a build blog as I didn’t expect to finish in time! If this should be posted somewhere else then I’m sure Ian will shift it.

It’s made OOB from the1/32 21st Century Toys kit. I’ve not even added belts as they would have cost more than the kit. I bought four of these kits off flea bay for twenty quid!

Here's a photo of the original

It is a Bf109G-14/U4. It was one of two found dismantled at Gilze-Rijen by British Forces. They were assembled at Antwerp-Deurne where I suspect the picture above was taken.

This one was originally W.Nr.413598 built by the Erla works near Leipzig.

I’ve shown it marked with a P. In early February 1945 both aircraft were sent to Hawkinge.On the 7th of April 1945 this one was given the serial number VD358 and on 26 April it went on to Tangmere as part of the Enemy Aircraft Flight. Marked as EA*2 it formed part of a post war exhibition of captured materiel on Horse Guards Parade.

It seems, like many others, it was scrapped shortly thereafter.

Here’s my attempt to replicate my reference. It’s painted in Dark Green and Ocean Grey uppers, standard RAF colours at the time, and Yellow underneath. The Yellow matches contemporary accounts, I’ve heard Sky suggested but to me that seems less likely in 1945. You’ll notice it also has “invasion stripes” though not to standard. All the markings, except the sprayed P are from the spares box, heaven only knows what they originally came with! I should have left the pilot's back armour out but didn't notice until I took the pictures....doh.

And here’s a quick walk around in glorious colour.

Cheers

Steve

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Another 21st Century 109. I don't care what others might say about these cheap kits (I bought a couple for £1.99 each last year) They make up into very acceptable models....And here is the proof.

Very nice Steve, it does look well. I do admire the trouble you go to researching your builds.

Cheers,

Ron

P.S. and you tell me off about back armour!!!!!!!!lol

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looks very good to me Steve a job well done And i think it dosn't look out of place in British markings

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
A cracking looking build Steve.

The B/W picture shows how close you have got to the original.

Nice work and 5 stars from me.

Tony.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
P.S. and you tell me off about back armour!!!!!!!!lol
Ron,I know,I know. Hoist by my own petard :smiling3:

Thanks Colin and Ian. It comes out alright for a kit with about twenty pieces which screws together and cost a fiver! Going by Ron's (Mr £1.99) post above I got turned over :smiling5:

There are some issues for the rivet counters but to me it looks a lot like a Bf109.

Cheers

Steve

Edit.....and Tony,thanks.

D

dubster72

Steve, I couldn't tell at first which was the model & which was the actual plane! Very good work, though your house must be looking like Ian lancs with all the 109s you've got!

Patrick

G

Greg147

Looking good, Steve. It's certainly a different machine in RAF colours. You've captured the image perfectly. ;)

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That is very nice Steve.

It looks quite at home in RAF paint.

And this can stay here no problems.

5 * from me as well.

Ian M

A

AJay

That's an awesome build, Steve! I'm feeling inspired to do some modelling :smiling3:

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Very nice Steve a great build and an outstanding result. It goes to show what you can do with an inexpensive kit. 5*

Vaughan

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Beautiful job steve, and simple it may be but like you said, it looks like a 109 to me! 5 stars from me , cheers tony

T

treyzx10r

Steve ,another beauty! Theres is something so wrong about seeing that aircraft in that livery tho lol! Top notch work Sir! cheers Trey

M

mobear

herman goehring would have been so proud of that bf109, its fantastic

mobear