Centurion AVLB (slow build)

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Shame about the chair Mike, but I;m sure you've been legless before! :tongue-out:
Pete

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
All that work on the grid panels certainly paid off. Looks brilliant :smiling3:

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Update,
Sorry for the long delay with my updates, but the modelling has taken a bit of a side step and slow work. Been doing a bit of DIY for a couple of my neighbours, installing washing machines and electric cookers.
Bridge...
Work has finally started on the bridge, but be warned this will be really slow...
Taking the dimensions from my drawings, I drew out and cut out a Left & Right side, marking out the riveted strenthening strips and frames. These are on both sides of the bridge and are in fact sided and not mirrored. All told there will be eight (8) of these sides built. No! I am not going to make you suffer from all eight, but will show the construction of just two of the sides.
20230119_211304_HDR.jpg
Templates with frames positions marked, there is only one oval hole and that is on the left side and not the right.
20230119_211338_HDR.jpg
Construction underway....
20230119_211327_HDR.jpg
Riveting... This is the inner side, the outer side is at the same stage. Hopefully each one will take about a week to complete allowing for mistakes off which there has been a couple already, but nothing that cannot be sorted.
That is it for now, some tidying up to do and details to be added - more later...
Cheers
Mike.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Simply mind-blowing!

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Wow !
Detail Wibble should be your middle name .Email in bound .
Wobble .

Last edited:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I’ve done my fair share of putting rivets onto models and don’t mind doing it, but all I can say here is: rather you than me :smiling3:

This is going to be good, though …

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Many thanks for the comments, all well recieved. And I will be recieving counselling after this lot....
Progressing along and getting close to the end of the first side of eight:thinking:... Test fit before going any further...
20230122_121426_HDR.jpg
And up she goes!!!!
20230122_121414_HDR.jpg
Had to make sure that the lifting pins were in the correct place... I have thought about casting the sides, but the problem comes with air trapped in the smaller areas and no matter what you do it is still there, plus the master mould has a tendancy to close up and you end up with only half or none of the ridge frames.... So been there and tried it....
OK, so onwards untill next time.
Cheers
Mike.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Update,
So been busy over the last few weeks with other items unrelated to modelling... Went and collected the new puppy, who is now 11 weeks old and full of herself, dominant as any lion can be, and drawn a few pints of blood in the process....
20230211_102848_HDR.jpg
...And yes, there is plastic sheet all over the hall and living room, but she is learning to go out, but we still get the odd mistakes...
SWMBO decided that as it was winter, freezing cold, that I should now assemble the 7 benches, 5 foot long/14 inches high each for her to put the flower pots on. So that episode worked wonders for my back..... Still I revolted at having to paint them - one up for freedom!!!!!
Plus I have been constructing my own spray booth from MDF and taking the measuments from the instructions from the poor offering I bought online, this has now been sealed with pva and once dry will be sprayed and then ready for use.
The first quarter of the bridge is now nearing completion with just a few small additions to add and the treadway to finish off and then onto the next section...
20230217_084416_HDR.jpg
Seen here after being removed from the jig....
20230217_084403_HDR.jpg
And here with a bit of scrap treadway for measurment checks....
So that is the news from here, now off to browse the work of others....
Cheers
Mike.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I look forward to more photos of the pup, the model, and the spray booth!
Pete

Reactions: JR