Chieftain Tank in Berlin Brigade Cammo....Berlin 1980's

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Hello chaps, not much armour about at the minute, so to balance it up....

A couple of weeks or so ago, I was given this Tamiya 1/35 Chieftain Mk 1/2/3/5 (take your pick!) by number 2 son for my birthday, so I wanted to do something special to it by way of a thank you...... Don't tell him about the flaws in the model, he won't know any more than I did!

I found this amazing paint job on 'tinternet, I didn't even know it existed. I just had to have a stab at it! This 'Urban' cammo scheme was used during the Cold War by the British in Berlin. The painting was done 'In the field', is very sharp edged and not very fussily applied either! It is very much like the 'Dazzle' scheme found on WW1 warships (There's a challenge for the WW1 build) and was found to be very effective!?

For a suitable backdrop I had a look on the web for images of 'The Berlin Wall' and from various pictures on there I scratch built a section of that dreadful structure from a single piece of polystyrene sheet, as is the cobbled road and pavement. The detail is done with my scalpel,and a blunt pencil. The runny mortar joints were done using a bit of card and a sloppy mix of polyfilla and allowed to run down where it liked, then the whole wall was painted with cheapo children's watercolours. The barbed wire on the top of the wall is the copper wire from a bit of electric cable.

The tank is all brush painted completely free hand ( no masking tape) with Vallejo Model Colour acrylics and the details with Humbrol Enamels.

Having seen close up the tanks at Cosford, no more will I worry about the paint finish and general appearance on these monsters. Talk about rough...

Due to it only rumbling around streets and the like, I have kept the weathering to a minimum, just giving the skirts bottoms a dusty, rained on sort of look, likewise with the tracks and I did a bit of work on the exhausts. I then gave the whole model a light dusting with a bit of grey dry powder tile adhesive...Then blew on it!

As this was a pure tank painting exercise, I have omitted the crew.

I make no excuses for the numerous pictures 'cos I'm well chuffed with the result. It was by far the most difficult and complicated model painting I have ever attempted....even harder than Major Wick's Bf109 stipple, and I just want to show everyone! Sorry if that's over the top but "Aam shmokin'!!!.....

I have a few pictures of the painting stages if anyone would like a more detailed description of how I managed it. If so, I will do a quick separate 'mini' thread to compliment this one.

So here is the finished tank for your viewing. I hope you like it.....FREEDOM FOR BERLIN!

Cheer all,

Ron

View attachment 46760

View attachment 46761

View attachment 46762

View attachment 46763

View attachment 46764

View attachment 46765

View attachment 46766

View attachment 46767

View attachment 46768

View attachment 46769

View attachment 46770

View attachment 46771

View attachment 46772

View attachment 46773

View attachment 46774

View attachment 46775

View attachment 46776

View attachment 46777

View attachment 46778

View attachment 46779

View attachment 46780

View attachment 46781

View attachment 46782

View attachment 46783

Chieftain Tank Berlin Brigade 029.jpg

Chieftain Tank Berlin Brigade 006.jpg

Chieftain Tank Berlin Brigade 007.jpg

Chieftain Tank Berlin Brigade 008.jpg

Chieftain Tank Berlin Brigade 009.jpg

Chieftain Tank Berlin Brigade 010.jpg

Chieftain Tank Berlin Brigade 011.jpg

Chieftain Tank Berlin Brigade 012.jpg

Chieftain Tank Berlin Brigade 013.jpg

Chieftain Tank Berlin Brigade 014.jpg

Chieftain Tank Berlin Brigade 015.jpg

Chieftain Tank Berlin Brigade 016.jpg

Chieftain Tank Berlin Brigade 017.jpg

Chieftain Tank Berlin Brigade 018.jpg

Chieftain Tank Berlin Brigade 019.jpg

Chieftain Tank Berlin Brigade 020.jpg

Chieftain Tank Berlin Brigade 021.jpg

Chieftain Tank Berlin Brigade 022.jpg

Chieftain Tank Berlin Brigade 023.jpg

Chieftain Tank Berlin Brigade 024.jpg

Chieftain Tank Berlin Brigade 025.jpg

Chieftain Tank Berlin Brigade 026.jpg

Chieftain Tank Berlin Brigade 027.jpg

Chieftain Tank Berlin Brigade 028.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I can understand why you are proud of that Ron. A real gem of a job. You are truly a master of the hairy stick. I have looked at this paint job myself a few times and have chickened out each time.

A great base as well.. I just love the cobbles. very well done.

Ian M

HAWKERHUNTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Ron, that really is something to be proud of mate. A great job. I have never seen a tank in those colours before but I have to admit that I think the fact you have hand painted it actualy enhances the overall appearance. The backdrop is very realistic and I love the grafiti. A great build.

Steve

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Absolutely stunning matey! What a fantastic paint job, and the wall and street is amazing. The first and twelfth pics are just photo realistic, sheer quality.Ron , you are THE master of scratchbuilt scenery , you ought to patent your methods!! BIG 5 from me too , cheers tony

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks boys for the posts and the 5*, I am really chuffed you approve of this offering but.....

This Master label is way over the top. I know you mean well and I appreciate the comments, but it makes for very embarrassing reading. There are far better scratch models on here than mine...Take Andrew's Joiner's Workshop for instance, now that's quality!

I firmly believe there is no such animal as 'The master' 'cos we are constantly learning as we go along.

This all sounds as if I'm ungrateful for the compliment, it's not that, it's just...you know.

Thanks anyway, mind!

Cheers,

Ron

C

Caledonia

Hi Ron, It's nice when you can put your own twist to a model. I keep trying but I am useless at this hand painting, I really envy your skill. 5 Star from me Sir. Cheers Derek

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Steady on Ron, you have only been called The Master once in the replies, lol.

But you must accept the fact that when it comes to brush painting you are 'rather good' at it. ;) (was that better lol).

I am not one to come with daft ideas (that often) but have you ever considered building some of these bases and use them as a master to produce plaster or resin sets. I bet you could sell a few if only here on the forum.

Ian M

P

Polux

Precious Job!! The paint work is great!!

I like very much your dioramas Ron, probably don't want to be the master, but there is always your (peculiar) vision, that does your dioramas different. To have this gift is fantastic and you can take advantage of it!!

Congratulations, big 5 from me too!!

Cheers

Polux

D

dubster72

You are a dark horse Ron! Keeping this one under wraps until now! It's absolutely excellent, how you manage to paint so well with a brush astounds me, I'd never even try! I have something similar that I'm working on but I'm a coward so it's masking tape & airbrush all the way for me ;)

I agree with Ian, you really should look into some kind of commercial production of your bases - that wall looks just like the real thing. I've seen a few diorama bases on sale on Ebay & none come close to yours!

Thanks for sharing that with us, it'll be a good guide for me.

Cheers

Patrick

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the very complimentary post boys, they make for great reading.

I know I've said it before, but when my dad was teaching me model making, air brushes were unheard of, so it was brushes or now't and I have got that used to them I can't change...I still look at a/b's now and then, but the urge soon wears off!!

As for making moulds, I wouldn't know where to start. Perhaps bespoke one offs or even Ikea type flat packs would be better. That way no two would be identical. lol

Thanks for suggesting some of my stuff might be worth selling in the first place!

Cheers,

Ron

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Brilliant Ron. That colour scheme is something else,it makes my eyes cross just looking at it,beautifully done though it is.

Cheers

Steve

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the great comments Steve....You're cross eyed? Spare a thought for the poor sap that painted it!!!

Cheers,

Ron

C

CDW

that sir is the doggies dangly bits!!!

5* from another dedicated hairy stick and bristley rod user :smiling3: :smiling3:

M

mobear

okay okay is this a real tank next to a wall that you have brought over from berlin?lol

its magnificent mate a proper job first class and no mistake

mobear

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
***** as usual Ron. Your modesty does you credit, but regardless of how you view your talents, you definitely have 'the master touch'!

You said something about progress pics. Don't know about anyone else, but I'd like to see them. I can't paint straight lines that well even with masking tape so any help would be appreciated.

Gern

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks boys for taking the time to post your comments, I appreciate them all....

Colin, we have to stick together being a rare and endangered species!

O.k. Ole, you've seen through the charade, I have the tank in my back yard and the wall belongs to next door. Not really true.....I have no neighbours!!

Dave, I'll post a quick thread on brush painting the tank....Might not be much use though, rather like teaching someone to swim. Read all the books you want, but you have to get in the water sooner or later!

Thanks again chaps,

Ron

M

mobear

hey fellas i use the beardy stick most of the time,only if i have to do a big area in one colour then the AB comes out lol

mobear

ps I KNEW IT HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

N

noble

absolutely fabulous fella the paint work is wonderful so is the dio .

Scott

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
O.k. Ole, you can join our club, but only use the a/b as a last resort!

Scott, thanks for the post. Always good to read your stuff. We must get in touch about the chuff chuff. I'll p.m you over the w/end. Take care fella.

Cheers,

Ron