Chipping a metallic finish??

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
My IAF Mosquito has a metallic finish so the questions relate to that.
Two questions which I have been unable to find answers to ....
Firstly is the metallic finish on an aircraft just metal or is it painted to look metallic?
Secondly if it's a painted finish what would chips, say along the wing leading edge, look like?
Thanks in advance.
Jim

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi all
My IAF Mosquito has a metallic finish so the questions relate to that.
Two questions which I have been unable to find answers to ....
Firstly is the metallic finish on an aircraft just metal or is it painted to look metallic?
Secondly if it's a painted finish what would chips, say along the wing leading edge, look like?
Thanks in advance.
Jim
Jim,
I am probably completely wrong, but I thought the Mosquito was wooden, so I am presuming the finish is paint or did they take the design and build them out of metal?

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Must be painted surely? As far as I’m aware, the standard finish on non camouflaged UK aircraft was high speed silver paint, so I would expect this one to be similar. This applied to most post war early jets as well as the Hornet. The only one I can think of in natural metal finish was the lightening.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
You can usually tell a metallic-painted vs. a natural-metal plane fairly easily. If all of it is exactly the same colour, it’s almost certainly painted; if you see panels in a range of shades, it’s bound to be natural metal. (If the plane has been polished, though, it’s a lot harder to tell.)

Painted metallic finish:

day03_038.jpg

Natural metal:

c46a_01.jpg

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Thanks guys

Once again you have shown the strength of the forum, you've answered my questions perfectly.

Scottie - you are right of course. My only thought was were parts of the plane wooden frames covered in aluminium sheet?
Gary - that is a really good video and answered my query :thumb2: I still find it amazing the such a plane could be built of balsa and plywood.
Tim - Painted definitely. My thinking was that as the majority of Israeli operated Mossies were ex-French air force they would be painted over whatever the French camo was for use in Indo China.
Jakko - a picture is worth a thousand words and those two confirm that the IAF Mossies were painted.

Thanks again guys
Jim