Choice of brush for acrylics

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
EDIT - I've just Searched for the Pink Stuff on t'Net and it's a general cleaner, so I might get some anyway, and I can use it around the house - and if it's as good as they say, I can spend less time cleaning and more time on model making

It is good. Been using it for years - and my hands are so soft! ;)

Your Servant.

Fred Dibnah

• Haha
Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Well having read all the replies some which were most entertaining I'm off to Confused .com .:smiling3:

In fact looking through my brushes I've noticed there are no W&N left, Pro Art and DaVinci seem to be in vouge .I've lashed out and gone for some synthetic
1 x Pro Arte Series MP Miniature Painting Brush Size 1/8"
1 x Pro Arte Series MP Miniature Painting Brush Size 00
1 x Pro Arte Series MP Miniature Painting Brush Size 1
1 x Pro Arte Series MP Miniature Painting Brush Size 2
1 x Pro Arte Series MP Miniature Painting Brush Size 000

From Ken Bromley , at £2.96 each, might be a waste, on the other hand might suit .Will report back .
Only wish there was a standard sizing adopted by brush manufacturers.

Last edited:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Is there such a thing as nylon sabre brushes?

Cheers,
Richard

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Do you mean Sword liners like these Richard?
If so, it looks like there are several to choose from, and I’m sure other manufacturers make them as well.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Do you mean Sword liners like these Richard?
If so, it looks like there are several to choose from, and I’m sure other manufacturers make them as well.
Thanks for that, now I know what they are called as I have a few of those but what I really meant was nylon sable brushes and misspelt.

Cheers,
Richard

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Thanks for that, now I know what they are called as I have a few of those but what I really meant was nylon sable brushes and misspelt.

Cheers,
Richard
Nylon sable is a bit of a misnomer Richard. Nylon is one material and sable is another ;) Worth having a good look around the Rosemary and Co site though. I believe they now market nylons that are supposed to act like sables……and there are a bewildering variety of brush types and shapes that I never knew existed!

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
The sabre ones are good with my blending for tight corners and large areas.
Nylon sable is a bit of a misnomer Richard. Nylon is one material and sable is another ;) Worth having a good look around the Rosemary and Co site though. I believe they now market nylons that are supposed to act like sables……and there are a bewildering variety of brush types and shapes that I never knew existed!
I guess it could be that as they aren't the usual white but in sable colors. Will see if they curl. Priced at less than half the real sables by Daler & Rowney.

Cheers,
Richard

Cheers,
Richard

Gavalaar1980

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
I've always used a set of H & S detail paint brushes for virtually every figure I've painted; they are superb quality and have lasted for 5 projects without any signs of damage. I bought them from Amazon for about a tenner. Highly recommend John. G

First Name
Bill
A bit late to the party, but I've only just joined the forum, my now go to brushes are produced by Hawk Miniatures. Kolinski sable brushes nearly as good as Winsor and Newton for a fraction of the price.

Bill

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
1 x Pro Arte Series MP Miniature Painting Brush Size 1/8"
1 x Pro Arte Series MP Miniature Painting Brush Size 00
1 x Pro Arte Series MP Miniature Painting Brush Size 1
1 x Pro Arte Series MP Miniature Painting Brush Size 2
1 x Pro Arte Series MP Miniature Painting Brush Size 000

From Ken Bromley , at £2.96 each. All synthetic , well they would be at that price :smiling3:

Bought these 6 th September this year, now I've used them a lot on the latest build doing detail . Have to say they appear to be holding up well.
When I paint the figures the real test will begin. Will report back.

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I am another one of the brush destroyers and almost never buy anything expensive. As well as painting figures I also paint in oil, acrylic, gouache, and alkyd oils in the traditional sense. Producing paintings for sale and for commissions.
One rule that I have found to be useful is to use the biggest brush you can get away with since it will carry more paint. I find many figure painters get carried away with 00 and 000 sized brushes when in fact a well pointed 1, 2, 0r size 3 brush will do the job. I tend to buy nylon brushes for detail painting in all mediums and rarely pay more than $5 - $10 (3 - 7 pounds per brush). A brush called a Rigger for me will do the best job of painting the smallest details. This is a brush which is made up of longer fibres than is typical and therefore carries more paint and facilitates smooth lining. I find mine usually on Amazon and the set below is one example that I use.

XDT riggers.jpg

These are chinese, of course, and come from a company called XDT art supplies. Everyone has their own preferences but, as my golf pro says to me, "it is less to do with what is at the head of a golf club and more to do with who is at the other end"

John

SteveT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
This is an interesting thread. I got some brushes from my local shop for £4.99 and they are utterly crap (can I say that here?)
So I'm looking for a nice set of brushes that aren't too expensive.

after some looking around I found these, which of these would you grab?

Thanks.
Some nice brushes in there Steve. Don't think you would tend to use all of them for figures. I tried the very small sizes from another company, the problem is they don't hold much paint, so end up going for a bigger brush Rosemary and Co , an English company.

Tim @Tim Marlow is the man to put you right .

Tworrs

SMF Supporter
First Name
Garry
Some nice brushes in there Steve. Don't think you would tend to use all of them for figures. I tried the very small sizes from another company, the problem is they don't hold much paint, so end up going for a bigger brush Rosemary and Co , an English company.

Tim @Tim Marlow is the man to put you right .
I too am a fan of Rosemary & Co, I use their brushes extensively.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
There is quite a bit on brushes in my figure painting SBS here.
It’s just my way of working. Ron and John both get superb results with a completely different philosophy to me…….and Ron has done at least one SBS on brush painting models that is well worth the read.
Rosemary and Co are a great company to deal with, reasonable prices and very fast supply, but their web site can be a bit overwhelming because they have so many ranges. I have posted pictures of my brushes to make life a little easier in that respect and to hopefully show the differences between them. Of those sets you’ve posted I seriously think you would get more for your money by buying a select few brushes from someone like Rosemary. There are a lot of tiny brushes there which will not last long in service. Equally, don’t go for the top end Raphael or Winsor and Newtons until you have the basics nailed down. They are an expensive learners tool that will not improve your painting until you develop the skills and brush control to make best use of them. You are likely to kill them fairly quickly until proper brush care is second nature as well.

SteveT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
There is quite a bit on brushes in my figure painting SBS here.
It’s just my way of working. Ron and John both get superb results with a completely different philosophy to me…….and Ron has done at least one SBS on brush painting models that is well worth the read.
Rosemary and Co are a great company to deal with, reasonable prices and very fast supply, but their web site can be a bit overwhelming because they have so many ranges. I have posted pictures of my brushes to make life a little easier in that respect and to hopefully show the differences between them. Of those sets you’ve posted I seriously think you would get more for your money by buying a select few brushes from someone like Rosemary. There are a lot of tiny brushes there which will not last long in service. Equally, don’t go for the top end Raphael or Winsor and Newtons until you have the basics nailed down. They are an expensive learners tool that will not improve your painting until you develop the skills and brush control to make best use of them. You are likely to kill them fairly quickly until proper brush care is second nature as well.

Thanks for that! I did check their site out and oh my word so many brush sets and some of the prices are eye watering.
So I think you're right, I'll just buy 2-3 rather than a set and thanks, very helpful!

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Thanks for that! I did check their site out and oh my word so many brush sets and some of the prices are eye watering.
So I think you're right, I'll just buy 2-3 rather than a set and thanks, very helpful!
It is always worth getting a pack of cheaper brushes for rough work and dry brushing, but I would go for something like this….
or this….
Otherwise might be worth giving the Rosemary and Co red spot range a look as a first quality brush.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I use the Royal & Langnickel Golden Taklon brushes for detail work, they hold their shape well ( that says a lot, 'cos I'm a serial brush abuser! )
Dave

SteveT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
When it comes to brushes it's quite astonishing how many different makes and types there are. for someone like me just returning to the hobby, it's quite baffling what to buy. :smiling3:

I've been checking out the brushes at the scalemodelshop too, wow there's so many! There is one set there that caught my eye though, Brush starter set by Greenstuffworld. it has a variety brushes and even the stuff that repairs them. that's interesting (£34.99)