Christine completed

• Thread starter Deleted member 3568
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3568

Hi all i thought i would post some pics of my AMT Christine build. it is going to end up on a dio of the film but before i start cutting and melting bits I am going to build it as it should be out of the box.

I should say firstly I am not impressed with the kit. It is supposed to be the plymouth fury of the film (yes we all know it was actually a Belvedere but since this is actually supposed to be Christine i was not expecting to have to remove the Belvedere lettering that is embossed on the rear wings, so really this is not Christine it is just a reboxed Plymouth Belvedere also the amount of flash on the kit is trerrible for the price of the kit. as a comparrison i have included some photos of the sprues from the AMT model £29.99

and an Airfix model £9.99.

View attachment 103034

View attachment 103035

View attachment 103036

View attachment 103037

Now if Airfix can produce a Fairly cheap kit with practically no flash why cant AMT at nearly 3 times the price. any way this is where i will be posting my build. Hope you like it

wjdq4j.jpg

34s020l.jpg

b4tjj9.jpg

3537al2.jpg

Lee W

Rum before 10 makes you a pirate not an alcoholic
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
It's a good film, let's pray for a good build... :smiling3:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
That's a vivid red. Will be watching this build. Have faith in yourself-says me, always giving out the advice but still think I am the worst modeller on the planet lol. You will do okay, just have some fun.

You get what you pay for, but with model kits that is not always the case. Really top end kits are better quality but many middle range, and to be honest AMT are below that IMO, are bad fit, flashed to hell, but I suppose that can be part of the fun...or not.

Si:smiling3:

D

Deleted member 3568

ok so i have started spraying her really annoyed though was looking really good now got dust on her so got to rub her down and give another coat

still i think it will be ok if i dont get any more dust on it

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
If you build a lot of cars,or any thing that you don't want dust messing things up, for that matter. Buy a good size plastic storage box. Paint model, place box over model. Leave to dry...

Recommend a see though box so you can see there is something under it!

Ian M

D

Deleted member 3568

That is a gold standard tip, all the best tips are simple easy and usually obvious (when they have been pointed out) great thanks for that

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Agree with Ian, even for any models, dust can be a nightmare, so a cheapo large tupperware type of box is ideal to cover the item until dry. You could lightly sand back the top coat then re-prime and then add another top coat once completely dry.

D

Deleted member 3568

Think I have just rubbished it I sanded it down to remove the dust resprayed it it looked great till it dried now I realized I used the wrong paper I normally sand between coats with 1200 grit but stupidly used 600 now it is dry it is full of scratches now I don't know what to do, will another coat of paint cure it or can I polish them out. :sad:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Polishing will not remove the scratches totally, another coat of paint will not really work either. Wipe down the surface with some white spirit on some kitchen towel, this will remove any dust/paint/sanding debris-wipe over with clean kitchen towel straight after. Once dry best thing to do is add a coat of primer, as you are colouring the car in red use a white primer-Halfords do a white 500ml acrylic primer for around £7.50, but look for others, ebay etc.

Once the car is clean and dust free, do light coats of primer, dusting cover-build up the layers until all the car is primed, wait 20 mins between coats. Once coated cover the car so no further dust/muck can get onto it. Once dry, after 24hrs, you can start to apply your red topcoat.

One other method if you don't want to go down the primer route, is to try a yellow or even light orange paint job, again light use to build up the layers, this will help to get rid of the scratches, like primer, but also it will give the final top coat a more luxuries red colour.

Another tip is to sand in one direction, from back to front and straight along the flanks, do not use a swirl motion or you will never get them out and they are really difficult to cover.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 3568

Thanks I will probably use method 2 my missus will shoot me if I spend any more money on models (she said to me today why do you want so many models you can only build one at a time) women eh.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Thanks I will probably use method 2 my missus will shoot me if I spend any more money on models (she said to me today why do you want so many models you can only build one at a time) women eh.
I know that one lol.

Just ask her why does she need so many pairs of shoes, or various lipsticks etc...same thing with blokes...we cannot make our minds what to do next so like to peruse the sacred selection before picking.

D

Deleted member 3568

Yes she just bought 3 new dresses for our holiday she bought 5 new outfits last year and only wore one of them, why does she need 3 more this year

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Yes she just bought 3 new dresses for our holiday she bought 5 new outfits last year and only wore one of them, why does she need 3 more this year
LOL...that is the mystery of women mate. But, look at this way, if you where to mention it...you would be dead and it could end up with certain plastic parts inserted in delicate places. Keep ya head down and just get salvaging your model lol.

Lee W

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
I've got to understand a lot of things whilst growing up...women is not on the list:confused:, love mine to bits and try as hard as I do but no, I just can't understand them??? One of the mysteries of this planet.

That's why we have man caves... :P

D

Deleted member 3568

Yes women are impossible to understand mine wanted an ipad air (we both have playbooks, I love mine and can't see me changing it unless it breaks, and then I would just get another one) but she wanted the ipad so I can't refuse her anything so I got it for her. Now I am not computer minded at all and she knows it. But it arrived last night so who had to set her tablet up, give you one guess she opened the box then handed it to me like I was the god of all things technical still she couldn't use the old "men never read the instructions " because there are none, and to be fair it was quite simple, but when I handed it back to her every time she couldn't do something it was shoved back in my hands as if it was my fault she couldn't get it to do what she wanted. I nearly made the mistake of saying you didn't have these problems with the playbook, Needless to say I bit my lip I think she's got it now (hope so anyway or I can see lots of interruptions to my modeling). Don't get me wrong I love her to bits but women can be very frustrating.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Looking good there, so, assembly is next.

Lee W

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
I'm liking it... :smiling3:

Lee:smiling3:

S

Stevekir

\ said:

Another tip is to sand in one direction, from back to front and straight along the flanks, do not use a swirl motion or you will never get them out and they are really difficult to cover.

My trial pack of micromesh says to sand in straight lines ("first sanding"). Then with a finer grit size sand at right angles to the first sanding ("second sanding"). This is to allow you to see when the signs of the first sanding have been sanded away. Repeat with a finer grit, again at right angles, that is, in the same direction as the first sanding ("third sanding), and so on. If this is the final gloss coat, there will be only very fine scratches left which can be removed with a polishing cream. I have tried this successfully on Tamiya Lacquer (its solvent it cellulose lacquer) which seems to be quite tough, and tougher than others, for example Mr. Hobby's Gloss Black acrylic which can quickly go through to the primer..

This sanding plan is not so easy on curved surfaces where it is sometimes difficult to sand in both directions.