Churchill AVRE Mk. lll

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I have decided to break the habit of only doing wheeled vehicles as this vehicle has always grabbed my interest. It's the AFV club Churchill AVRE (Armoured Vehicle Royal Engineers). Mk.lll. I have built a couple of AFV offerings and on the whole they are nice kits.

I will try not to bore you to much with the build. As always the sprue shots. There are 12 sprues moulded in a green plastic the detail looks ok on first inspection. there is also a clear sprue containing the lenses and vision blocks, a bag of springs for the suspension and finally a small sheet of etch and the decals.

To go with the kit I have also purchased the AFV individual track links and an Eduard etch set.

DSCF2976.JPG

DSCF2977.JPG

DSCF2978.JPG

cheers
Scottie

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Having built the Mark IV version a few years ago, I must say I like the AFV Club Churchills. Fit is good, they’re very well-detailed (find the tiny spring in one of the plastic bags and see what it’s for :smiling3:) and they look the part. It’ll be interesting to see what you make out of it.

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Wow Scottie are you ok :smiling5: I'm definitely going to try and grab front row for this, I'm sure JR will be here because he will only have seen green :smiling5: Good luck with the build

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Scottie
I'll watch with interest. After your great last build this will be something to enjoy.
Jim

Reactions: JR

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Just two words ROAD WHEELS :tongue-out3::tongue-out3::tongue-out3::tongue-out3::tongue-out3:
At least there are no tyres to paint.
Having built the Mark IV version a few years ago, I must say I like the AFV Club Churchills. Fit is good, they’re very well-detailed (find the tiny spring in one of the plastic bags and see what it’s for :smiling3:) and they look the part. It’ll be interesting to see what you make out of it.
I have built a few AFV offerings they have been good so far.
Wow Scottie are you ok :smiling5: I'm definitely going to try and grab front row for this, I'm sure JR will be here because he will only have seen green :smiling5: Good luck with the build
Mick more than welcome mate thought I would get all the road wheels out of the way with one build. ;)
Pete beat me too it! :smiling5: :smiling5: :smiling3: :thumb2: :cool: Good luck to you sir
As I said mate at least there are no tyres.
Hi Scottie
I'll watch with interest. After your great last build this will be something to enjoy.
Jim
No pressure then mate.
I'm getting out of town so this should be well under way when I return. ;) Rick H.
Rick, where ever you're off to stay safe.

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
OK. I am all for it, got the chair and rubber ring with me.
Serious note - Some time ago I did a Churchill bridgelayer based on the same kit and both myself and Jakko described how we put together the road wheels and suspension. I have had a look through the search but cannot find the blog. I will PM you with my method tomorrow if that is ok. I need to get my kit instructions to refresh my mind.
Mike.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
These, Mike?

I think the first sentence in the second thread explains why you couldn’t find it anymore :smiling3:

My method for assembling the suspension can be found here.

An AVRE with a bridge is on my “would like to build” list but because of the amount of work involved, I doubt it’ll happen any time soon. One with a fascine is likely to happen first.
Jakko,
Many thanks for the search, it was the second one that I was after.
The kit for that bridge conversion is now in the £100+ range if you are still interested.
Mike.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Paul I shall join the merry throng, yes Mick you were quite correct:smiling3:.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The kit for that bridge conversion is now in the £100+ range if you are still interested.
I’ve thought both about buying the Resicast set and scratchbuilding the bridge, but so far, neither has appealed to me enough to actually make a start of it :smiling3:

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
OK. I am all for it, got the chair and rubber ring with me.
Serious note - Some time ago I did a Churchill bridgelayer based on the same kit and both myself and Jakko described how we put together the road wheels and suspension. I have had a look through the search but cannot find the blog. I will PM you with my method tomorrow if that is ok. I need to get my kit instructions to refresh my mind.
Mike.
cheers Mike
These, Mike?

I think the first sentence in the second thread explains why you couldn’t find it anymore :smiling3:

My method for assembling the suspension can be found here.

An AVRE with a bridge is on my “would like to build” list but because of the amount of work involved, I doubt it’ll happen any time soon. One with a fascine is likely to happen first.
cheers Jakko
Scottie,
PM sent.
Mike.
Received mate thank you.
Paul I shall join the merry throng, yes Mick you were quite correct:smiling3:.
Good to have you along mate.

First Name
Andy
Looks to be a good model Paul and I can't wait for you to get to the tracks. ;)

Andy.

• Haha

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Looks to be a good model Paul and I can't wait for you to get to the tracks. ;)

Andy.
Hi Andy, It looks good and the tracks at first glance don't seem to be to bad compared with some aftermarket offerings.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Mike and Jakko kindly sent me some advice on assembling the suspension and running gear. There are a lot of bits that all need to be in the right place at the right time but it went to well without any problems. So thank you guys. this is the end result .

DSCF2979.JPG

having fun so far.

Scottie

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The bogies seem to have gone together fine, it’s already starting to look like a Churchill :smiling3: