Classic airfix Vickers Vangaurd

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
clear.png
I pick this one in a charity shop today it will be my next victim
clear.png
it contains nearly 2 complete planes one has been started but the other one i have had ago by putting some white on the upper side.

But heres the pics. :smiling3:

Peter t

View attachment 85453

View attachment 85454

View attachment 85455

View attachment 85456

View attachment 85457

2014-07-15 16.21.35.jpg

2014-07-15 16.21.48.jpg

2014-07-15 16.22.07.jpg

2014-07-15 16.22.30.jpg

2014-07-15 16.23.06.jpg

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice find Peter. It's a 1963 kit, those decals could do with some sun on them but looks good otherwise. Interested to see how these build up.

D

Doug Hughes

Another one that brings back memories - both as a kit, and memories of days spent aircraft spotting at Manchester Airport in the early seventies. Enjoy the build!

D

dubster72

I flew back from Paris in one of these when I was about 11, so that was 1978.

I remember it was a very smooth flight & the cabin was more comfortable than any modern aircraft I've flown on since!

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
This will be interesting it brings back memories of watching these fly over the house when I was a nipper , we used to live on the flight path to elmdon airport which of course became Birmingham international , I was more interested in the turbo prop aircraft than the jets back then :smiling3:

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
This ones got me my mojo back so heres what i am up to i shall be depensing with the decels around the windows as i have painted around them The wings were already together so it was a matter of sanding and painting witch is going to be the early Bea scheme.

Also i have shown how i weight my aircraft with steel shot.

Peter t

View attachment 85527

View attachment 85528

View attachment 85529

2014-07-17 14.25.45.jpg

2014-07-17 14.26.03.jpg

2014-07-17 14.31.34.jpg

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Something about these old planes that just looks sooooooooo right. Look forward to you making this Peter.

Si:smiling3:

P

Polux

looking very well so far Peter.

Is and interesting subject for fun and search the mojo, if you lose it.

Excellent choice ;)

L

Laurie

Very nice Peter. No lack of Mojo there Peter.

Brings back memories. Both the Vickers machines, the Vanguard and Viscount, were often seen on the apron here in Jersey. Both nice looking aircraft. Looking at the Viscount you can see the influence on the Vanguard. Must have flown in one at sometime or another but cannot recall.

Laurie

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Great work so far Peter. Will look very good with the spinning props. May even be effective with two running and two shut down. I've seen pictures of NZ Viscounts back in the day taxiing with just the inner engines running to save fuel.

L

Laurie

\ said:
Great work so far Peter. Will look very good with the spinning props. May even be effective with two running and two shut down. I've seen pictures of NZ Viscounts back in the day taxiing with just the inner engines running to save fuel.
Yes Joe I remember now flying in to Jersey on the Viscounts many times. As soon as they had landed two engines were close down immediately and taxied on the other two.

Laurie

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
I've had a look on evil bay and not found any.Peter t
I agree peter I've been looking but with evil bay you never know , I was after a kit from 79 and I found part built but no original kit but the wife did , it may cost a bit but I'll keep looking :smiling3:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looking great peter, like a lot of other people on here Ive a very soft spot for the old propliners .I remember seeing them at manchester or east midlands airports if I ever went with my dad to drop off or pick up some family member going on holiday. Viscounts ,Vanguards , Brittanias , Argosys , Heralds ,HS 748's , there was just so much variety back then , when the jets gradually replaced them it wasnt the same , everything looked very samey. Its great to see some more airliners too , I'm working on one at the moment as well. If you get the bug for some old props then the airfix kit of the DH Heron is still a nice build , despite the tooling being over 50 years old (1959) !!!!!!!! especially if you can get hold of a newer release with the Jersey Airlines livery . Looking forward to seeing the completed Vanguard , cheers tony