Cleaning masking fluid from paint brushes.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I got a couple of tins of Clever Putty which I think is the same. I'll see what PJ thinks.

Poor kid nearly fainted when I told him it was £9 per tin!

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I wet the brush with clean water before trying to apply the masking fluid, then immediately after finishing, clean the brush with washing up liquid, using your fingers to rub the soap well in & rinsing.
Having said that I only use nylon brushes - the really cheap ones - like kids' brushes 6 for a quid. That way I don't risk any of my expensive brushes!
Dave

I didn't wet the brush before applying the mask so I'll give that a go. And for sure I'll recommend that PJ gets some cheapo brushes.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I got two other suggestions - cellulose thinners and white spirit. I'll give both a try and let you guys know how I get on. Watch this space!

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Think I may have the solution. I tried White Spirit and it didn't seem to have any effect. Next up was Cellulose Thinners. While it softened the masking fluid it didn't wash it away so I had to peel it from the bristles - with limited success.

However - neat Ammonia seems to do the trick just fine. I put a few drops into a plastic shot glass (plastic 'cos I read somewhere that Ammonia can affect either stainless steel or chrome - can't remember which) and gently stroked the brush across the bottom of the glass. Then a quick clean up with some liquid soap and job's a good 'un.

Edit: I forgot to suggest you should open a window. Ammonia stinks summat rotten! Anyone who's had babies grow up in their house will know that smell, but the undiluted stuff is really potent.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I always use disposable micro brushes for liquid mask. Saves the problems of washing brushes.

For flowing camo such as the RAF had I really would recommend products like Panzer Putty. It looks like an expensive initial outlay but it is reusable again and again so it ends up better value than other methods. It also sinks into panel lines and detail preventing bleeding. It is brilliant stuff.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I always use disposable micro brushes for liquid mask. Saves the problems of washing brushes.

For flowing camo such as the RAF had I really would recommend products like Panzer Putty. It looks like an expensive initial outlay but it is reusable again and again so it ends up better value than other methods. It also sinks into panel lines and detail preventing bleeding. It is brilliant stuff.
DITTO.

Cheers,
Richard

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I purchased a pack of White tac about six or eight years ago. Still going strong. Still sticks well rolls well and still leaves no marks. I think I gave about a quid for it.
I have only ever used Humbrol liquid mask and Vallejo version. If I recall hot soapy water did the trick.

zuludog

SMF Supporter
I don't know if this will work for dried on masking fluid, but I have used this for the past couple of years to give my brushes a thorough clean now & again, between normal cleaning with white spirit, as I only use enamel paint, and it's excellent

Masters Brush Cleaning Soap -- find it on t'Net, Amazon, and so on, but make sure you get the brush cleaning soap in the fawn coloured plastic tub, and not the Hand Cleaning Soap which is a bar of soap

Search for videos on YouTube and you'll see that it cleans really stubborn dried on paint, so I'm guessing that it will clean up masking fluid as well
And whether it does or not, you'll still have it for your paint brushes anyway.

Flip

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I've used cocktail sticks to apply it when masking canopies and have usually been successful, but I want to use it to help mark out camo patterns. I've looked at some videos but most of them are art based and they either use a different sort of masking fluid or rely on specific art special chemicals - or even waiting until the fluid dries and then pick it out of the brush using their fingernails! There's gotta be a better way.
Admittedly, the 1:72 Harrier is only a small kit but I used a cocktail stick to apply Maskol to cover the grey in readiness for the green. Load the stick and apply using the side of the stick rather than the point.

IMG_3465.JPG

Regards,
John

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Think I may have the solution. I tried White Spirit and it didn't seem to have any effect. Next up was Cellulose Thinners. While it softened the masking fluid it didn't wash it away so I had to peel it from the bristles - with limited success.

However - neat Ammonia seems to do the trick just fine. I put a few drops into a plastic shot glass (plastic 'cos I read somewhere that Ammonia can affect either stainless steel or chrome - can't remember which) and gently stroked the brush across the bottom of the glass. Then a quick clean up with some liquid soap and job's a good 'un.

Edit: I forgot to suggest you should open a window. Ammonia stinks summat rotten! Anyone who's had babies grow up in their house will know that smell, but the undiluted stuff is really potent.
Of course ! Youve hit the proverbial nail right on the head there dave , I recall using Humbrol maskol years ago and it having a distinct whiff of ammonia .