Colour match recomendations

1275GT

Hi all. I'm in the process of building an Tamiya 89 F1 Ferrari, and am looking with some help with the main body colour. The instruction calls for TS-8 - is this a good match, or does anyone know of a good alternative? Oh, and it needs to be a rattle-can, ideally.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers, Neil

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
A quick search shows many people use TS-8 Italian Red for Ferrari models. Think you have got the right paint Neil :smiling3:

M

Mike

Model making, I know little about, I'm new

F1 however, different story! Ferrari changed their red in the late nighties, around the Schumacher era to both work with Marlboro, who they picked up as a sponsor, and because it looked nicer!

The modern red is much brighter than the older one, so if you only have one red and it's bright, put down a black undercoat which should bring out the deep red used in the late eighties. Try it out on a random piece of plastic first, one with a white undercoat and one with a black, compare it with photos of the time and you'll see which one works best for your model

L

Laurie

Wow Mike ! Is there any question which is unanswerable on this Forum ? o_O

Laurie

T

Tone M

If you need a close as dam it Ferrari Rosso, the 'Rover Flame Red' Hycote spray is really close and of a great quality for about £4 (any good motor factor)

As Mike says, a black or a grey undercoat gives you the Pre or Post '90 shade :smiling3:

1275GT

Thanks for the input, gents, most helpful. I'm not too concerned about getting it spot on, but if there was anything out there that would get me close, I'd be silly not to use it.

I'd heard about the change of colour on the Ferrari's, that the later colour was more orange-red, but its nice to hear it confirmed.

I've also heard that the only reason Tamiya didn't call their red "Ferrari Red" is that they didn't want to pay Ferraris licencing charge........!

Mike, always nice to meet another F1 man, although I'm mainly a plane fan, for a change I'm ( slowly ) working on a 1/20 F1 collection ( just don't hold your breath waiting.....)

Thanks again all.

Cheers, Neil