Colourful Kurfurst-Revellgawa 1/32 Bf109K

D

dubster72

I guess that's a pretty clear indication of the changing fortunes of the Luftwaffe at the end of the war when the Allies had air superiority.

Maybe he'd have done only 300 mph if he was making his fuel last! Though probably not with a Mustang on his tail!

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
I guess that's a pretty clear indication of the changing fortunes of the Luftwaffe at the end of the war when the Allies had air superiority.
Exactly so. This whole airframe pretty well demonstrates the problems they were having. It's sort of why I wanted to build this one. It's also worth recognising the effort and determination shown by the Luftwaffe that it managed to keep on fighting at all into 1945.

Cheers

Steve

D

dubster72

I'm with you there Steve. While I'd never condone the war or the Nazis, you've got to wonder how a relatively small country like Germany managed to keep going for so long, though I guess slave labour helped!

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
I'm with you there Steve. While I'd never condone the war or the Nazis
Of course not.

I think they had plenty of incentive. We were bombing them into next week and those young men had been raised in a climate of racially and politically aggravated fear of "bolshevism" and the Slavic threat from the East.

It doesn't make it right but it is important to try and understand what kept them going.

And yes,the use of slave labour and all the appalling images that that brings to mind was a factor.

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Got some decals on the 109 and a Klear coat on the little 190.

It all looks a bit shiney at the moment!

Cheers

Steve

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Looking great Steve. Another 5 star build coming on :smiling3:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Steve, I'm finding both these latest builds of yours totally fascinating, and doubly so reading the history you kindly add.

Cheers,

Ron

T

treyzx10r

Steve another couple of you're quality builds in the works,awesome as always! Really enjoying the colors on these .

J

James Q

What an amazing build, I love the colour scheme very different to the normal 109's. It is amazing how a small country like Germany lasted to 1945!

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Small country, massive industrial capacity.
Hi Matt,I don't want to get into an in depth discussion of german war production on a modelling forum for obvious reasons,not least because I've got TWO models to finish, but if you are interested in the background to the Luftwaffe's ultimate defeat I'd suggest "The Luftwaffe 1933-1945,a Strategy for Defeat" by Dr Williamson Murray. For what is essentially a text book it is very readable and gives a good overview of the many factors leading to the desperate straits in which the Luftwaffe,and Germany,found themselves in late 1944/early 1945,as exemplified by my mix'n'match Bf109 :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Very quick snap (even worse than my usual!) showing the matt varnish on. I had to mask all that natural metal on the underside........again. John at the shop will be getting an order for more tape soon :smiling3: .

Dangly bits,which don't amount to a whole hill of beans with the undercarriage up,tomorrow.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looking really nice now Steve.

As an aside to Brickies comment, was Germany at that time not one of the largest countries in Europe? If not the largest.

Ian M

D

dubster72

This one has looked good all the way through Steve, but now it's even better as all those colours get integrated into one scheme.

By the way, is that a computer desk you're using? I used to have something similar with a slide-out tray for the keyboard.

Patrick

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I'm calling this one done.

I shall stick some "proper" piccies in a completed thread but just to conclude this build thread I'll stick a snap here.

Here's a reminder of what I was aiming for.

And here's the completed model.

Thanks for watching!

Oh Patrick,that is indeed a computer desk which I inherited when SWMBO upgraded her office. I use it for construction,I spray elsewhere,and it does the job.

Cheers

Steve

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Steve, just the one word sums up this build of yours. Brilliant!....Big 5 all the way.

I await the other pictures over on 'Completed'

Cheers,

Ron

D

dubster72

You've absolutely nailed it Steve, it's identical to the reference pic. Excellent work as ever!

Must be the same desk! I retired mine after too many little parts slipped through the holes!

Patrick