Colourful Kurfurst-Revellgawa 1/32 Bf109K

T

ta152c

Nice paintwork, I like the 'sub assembly' style there. The JaPo books are very helpful for these late Me109s.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Now I can see were the Colourful comes into the title!

Sure looking good so far. Maybe you should keep this one by the bench. A sort of 3D German paint colour guild!

Look forward to seeing the last of the paint go down.

Ian M

D

dubster72

Rather you than me, steve, tackling something so complicated! I'm practicing mottling for the 1st time (or I was until I put the AB away in disgust! )

I'm looking forward to seeing this one progress to pick up some tips!

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
The JaPo books are very helpful for these late Me109s.
They are indeed. The one I'm doing here I haven't found in the JaPo K book,it may be somewhere else. I'm working off a profile in Wolowski's "Bf109 late versions". I still haven't found the photographic source of the profile but I'm not looking too hard! I did find a photo of a second Erla built K,interesting but a boring one colour scheme.

The JaPo book has been invaluable for pictures of tails,cowlings and just about everything else,including everyone's favourite,the wiggly demarcation down the leading edge of the wing.

Today I've sprayed the RLM 82 on the upper wings,tailplane and fuselage. Unfortunately work interrupted the important business of model building so it will be tomorrow before I'll get the RLM 81 on and maybe snap a photo.

I've decided to get all the camouflage colours on and spray the natural metal (Alclad) last of all.

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
As promised a photo of the basic camouflage.

I've oversprayed the rudder with a mist of RLM 76 and applies a zig-zag of that colour over this as per my reference. The overall RLM 81/RLM 82 scheme is applied.I've no evidence for the pattern on the upper wings and tailplane so I picked one of the three or four possibilities on the grounds that I like it! Very scientific. It's been post shaded to try and give the impression of the very thin single coats that were applied on these late war aircraft.

The area on the fuselage which you can see in primer will be sprayed in a natural metal finish along with some under wing panels that you can't see. Finally I will mist a zinc chromate colour over the two NMF fuselage segments. I will have to wait until the camouflage has dried before I do this. Finally I'll figure out some way of simulating the red/brown putty visible in those primer coloured seams.

Cheers

Steve

D

dubster72

This is getting better & better Steve! Such an interesting project, I'm thinking it'll look amazing once it's finished. As for the putty, how about a slurry of burnt Sienna oil paint, fortified ( as it were ) with ground pastel? Or Mig powder if you're rich!

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi Patrick. Burnt Sienna is about the right colour. Whatever I do it has to be thin enough to run into the panel lines,just like a pin wash. Luckily the lines on this,and all models,are about 20 times the scale size of the real ones so I've got a chance :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Really colourful build Steve.

I'm faffing around with my 109 while I wait for stuff to dry on my GB 262.

So I'm enjoying watching.

Keep up the good work .

Tony.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Very interesting camo Steve. Makes you wonder where they got their ideas from and the reasons behind it.

Vaughan

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Very interesting camo Steve. Makes you wonder where they got their ideas from and the reasons behind it.Vaughan
They were just building aircraft out of the bits that became available from sub-contractors and sattelite factories. That's why we've got a front end which looks like it belongs to another aircraft. The fuselage section which may well have come from a G-10 (the bit that will end up in a primer colour) is unusual. The RLM 75/82 tail section was common at this time. I've got a picture somewhere of a load of them lined up in what looks like a barn,such was the state of german aircraft production at this time. A lot of units obviously thought this was too dark and an RLM 76 overspray is not uncommon. I think this one has the overspray on the rudder only because it is a replacement or at least has been nicked off another aircraft.

It certainly makes for an interesting paint job! Time consuming for the modeller but that's fine by me. I've just started on the first of several shades of Alclad for the natural metal panels. Mask and spray....mask and spray...we all know how that goes :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Thats some great work there Steve mate, you're right too. It's very 'colourful', going to keep an eye on this.

Have fun, John

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Excellent painting Steve. I do like different cammo's/ paint jobs, and this is no exception. Great job.

One thing springs to mind though when I see all the masking that has to be done..... Thank heaven I still use a brush!!

The barn picture you mention would make a great diorama. Any chance of finding it?

Cheers,

Ron

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
A very Interesting scheme that Steve.

I know that you are no stranger to Alclad but I would like to tell you an amusing trick which is great for Bare Metal finishes. Simple as possible you paint the panels in different colours, green, blue black, grey and white, just as an example. Then spray over that with one 'colour' Alclad. Its an effect worth playing with. Once dry you can enhance the effect by picking out a panel here and there with a different one.

Give it a try with some left over paint the next time you are spraying.

Back to your build I must just say that I am in awe of the back ground work that you do. This is an area that I am terrible at and tend to skimp on.

Ian M

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Thanks chaps.

Ron,I think that one's in a book so as I flick through them from time to time I'll keep my eyes open for it. You'd need a lot of tail sections (empennages) to do the dio :smiling5:

Ian,I once tried "preshading", for want of a better description, various panels in different greys. I think it may have been on the bottom of a P-47. I found that the result was variable in the sense that from some angles the difference was very noticeable and from others invisible. Of course this may have had something to do with the fact that I only used greys and tend to mist on just enough Alclad to give me the metal look I'm after. Well,that or complete ineptitude :smiling3: .

I may give it another go with a greater variation in preshade as per your suggestion. Wouldn't I still have to mask the panels for that though?

On this one the panels (with the possible exception of the radiator flaps) were all essentially the same material so I want a fairly subtle shading as per pictures I've seen of the Messerschmitt assembly halls.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Spot the difference!!!!

Two shades of Alclad,"Duraluminium" and "Dark Aluminium" on these two segments.

Mmmmmmmmm,no more visible difference to the naked eye. This bit will be oversprayed with a primer.....luckily!

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Well meine damen und herren we have reached a significant milestone!

After the best part of four days of labour the major painting is done.

Here's the underside,I'm afraid I don't have the photographic skills to show the Alclad to best advantage!

I've drilled and fitted the tube to allow the model to sit on one of my custom stands.

I've now discovered that you can mask Alclad with Tamiya tape after a couple of hours which is handy to know.

Here's the topside.

This is painted with White Ensign Colourcoats which are enamels. Though the camouflage has been on for 24-48 hours and is "touch" dry I'll be leaving it in a nice warm room until tomorrow night before I will give it a gloss coat.

I'm off to make some custom decals for the W.Nr. on the primed section and then I'll be looking for something to do.

Now what did I do with that little Fw 190 for the GB !?

Cheers

Steve

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looking very good Steve. And the custom stand is fantastic. Pray how do you make them , or is it a trade secret ?

D

dubster72

My hat's definitely off to you & your painting skills Steve! I'd never tackle such a complicated job, not just the varied camo schemes, but using alclad on those individual panels.

Frankly it must have worked to deceive the Allies coz it barely looks like a 109 to me stationary let alone at 300-odd mph!

Patrick

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Cheers fellas.

Ian ,I did a thingy on here a few years ago about the stands. If I can't find it I'll do a quick resume at the end. Essentially it's an acrylic rod,bent to shape in a pan of boiling water,inserted into a clear acrylic base made from a photo frame.

Patrick,this one does look a bit odd. It's a bit of a mix and match! 300mph? he could well be doing about 440 mph at 24,000 feet!

At this time the camouflage SHOULD have comprised the principal upper colours (RLM 81 and 82). The Luftwaffe had reverted to a green/brown scheme in an effort to hide their aircraft on the ground,just as the early war RAF Dark Green/Dark Earth scheme was designed to do.

Cheers

Steve