colours for modern us vehicles - desert

N

noble

Hi all can anyone enlighten me as to the colour used by U.S forces in Iraq during desert shield, iam using vallajo model air paint and iam looking to paint my m2 Bradley. The colour I had thought was 027 light brown in Vallejo model air all info welcome, thanks folks.

scott

J

John Rixon

I went for Sand Yellow (model air 71.028), and Sand Ivory (Model Air 71.075).

Brad2.JPG

Bradley1.JPG

However, this is one model I am tempted to clean off the dust etc and oil paint weather it more!

2.png

N

noble

Thanks john I ve got that colour, yours looks good by the by.

J

John Rixon

Thanks, my main concern with it now is the shaded parts, I reckon they need deepening more, then some of the lighter shade for exposed surfaces. The dust I put all over it was never fixed properly, so I'm gonna brush it all off and get some rendering done on it. Looking forward to seeing how yours comes out, which kit is it?

N

noble

\ said:
Thanks, my main concern with it now is the shaded parts, I reckon they need deepening more, then some of the lighter shade for exposed surfaces. The dust I put all over it was never fixed properly, so I'm gonna brush it all off and get some rendering done on it. Looking forward to seeing how yours comes out, which kit is it?
Its tamiyas m2 Bradley.

Scott

First Name
Adrian
I went with 71.122, only as I followed Flory's build of his Meng one, I think by the time you add washes and weathering there won't be much in it.

015.JPG

Adrian

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
The official colour for NATO vehicles was "Light Stone". I can't remember the "RAL No" for it but I can get it if you want it (looked rather like a mustard yellow to me). It was what we used on the Jackal, Coyote and Foxhound Vehicles.

N

noble

\ said:
The official colour for NATO vehicles was "Light Stone". I can't remember the "RAL No" for it but I can get it if you want it (looked rather like a mustard yellow to me). It was what we used on the Jackal, Coyote and Foxhound Vehicles.
That would be good thanks.

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
I will find it tomorrow at work.....I have it on an email someplace.

D

Dave1973

Ral7030 is the colour of afgan machines, stone grey according to the Armoured Div.

Now wether that got changed i dont know, but thats what i found out from a buddy of mine to do my warrior.

Tbh though, what does it matter, sand yellow, stone yellow, stone, concrete any of those types of colours will be fine for a modern desert vehicle

J

John Rixon

Yup, backs up my theory that I need to get some deeper yellow/stone in there!

Lee W

Rum before 10 makes you a pirate not an alcoholic
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
I use Humbrol 237 acrylic, looks good to me!?

It's light, it's yellow...ish, it's brown...ish, it looks stoney...ish, i'm happy with it!

Lee:smiling3:

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
\ said:
Ral7030 is the colour of afgan machines, stone grey according to the Armoured Div.
Now wether that got changed i dont know, but thats what i found out from a buddy of mine to do my warrior.

Tbh though, what does it matter, sand yellow, stone yellow, stone, concrete any of those types of colours will be fine for a modern desert vehicle
Dave is probably right there .......... The Jackal /Coyote was spec'd as "Lght Stone" but I'd be surprised if the exact same colour was used by all contractors......and certainly, any vehicles painted in the field would vary depending on what the squaddie had in the bucket at the time.

D

Dave1973

Plus every regiment would normally slap paint on prior to transport to the selected theatre, and we all know what us squaddies are like for painting stuff! Hell, ive even paonted grass green and manhole covers black before royalty arrived!