Comet-ed

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
I'm still with you Andy and I know exactly where you are coming from. The longer you work on something, the less interest you have in it. That's my problem all the time and the main reason I never finish anything...

The bridge looks great and I wouldn't mess too much more with it. I can also understand you feelings about vegetation too.. Maybe if you want, take a break from the project for a day or two, and go to the local garden store. They have these tall spinning racks and loads of little packets of 'stuff to grow' seeds. Grab a few packs, but not tomatoes, green beans or such, go home and throw them in a pot with dirt and some water, and wait a few days. Brussel Sprouts would be a good choice. While waiting for them to grow, you can drive on with the dio as your mind will be split between growing vegetation and your dio work, so the mojo will take off flying again! Plus, when the BS' bloom, you will have plenty of vegetation as no one eats those nasty things anyway...

Just a suggestion my friend and please keep up the fantastic work. Sorry to hear about the nippers though.......

Prost
Allen

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks everyone for the great comments and reactions, it gives me a warm feeling inside. Unless that's just wind?

Nice one Jakko, that might just be the "something" that I feel it is missing. I still have the road/track to paint and will carry that colour onto the bridge also.

Allen, I was always worried that this build would outlast my goldfish attention span but then my personality has a need to see things finished. Well, 95% finished :smiling5: , so I'll keep on plugging away.

Not so sure on the gardening though lol, I'll leave that to JR. I'm actually partial to Brussels as it happens. Lightly cooked with chestnuts. Yummy.

Nippers were my cheap "rough cut" pair so no sad loss, but they'll still need replacing.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
That's brilliant Andy.

Coming on a real treat!

ATB

Andrew

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I'm still with you Andy and I know exactly where you are coming from. The longer you work on something, the less interest you have in it. That's my problem all the time and the main reason I never finish anything...

The bridge looks great and I wouldn't mess too much more with it. I can also understand you feelings about vegetation too.. Maybe if you want, take a break from the project for a day or two, and go to the local garden store. They have these tall spinning racks and loads of little packets of 'stuff to grow' seeds. Grab a few packs, but not tomatoes, green beans or such, go home and throw them in a pot with dirt and some water, and wait a few days. Brussel Sprouts would be a good choice. While waiting for them to grow, you can drive on with the dio as your mind will be split between growing vegetation and your dio work, so the mojo will take off flying again! Plus, when the BS' bloom, you will have plenty of vegetation as no one eats those nasty things anyway...

Just a suggestion my friend and please keep up the fantastic work. Sorry to hear about the nippers though.......

Prost
Allen
Excuse us Andy .
Dude 1 tablets not working I see , suggest a double dose , or Matron can visit if you prefer.

Thanks Andy .

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Can't see anything amiss Andy , the extra you did looks very convincing.
Leave it for a day or two if you feel like a break . You'll come back with fresh eyes and be amazed at what you can achieve.
Battle on mate :thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks Andrew & John. Sorry I've been a little tardy with my reply, it's been a funny end to the week in real life and I got distracted playing around with paint samples for a future build.

Hope to make some progress on this one today.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thank you both.

I feel like I could do with a rest as John suggests but know that if I do it'll get put on the shelf of doom with all of my other not-quite-finished stuff, never to see the light of day again :smiling5:

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
My wife has just informed me that we've got an urgent appointment down the pub, so this may be all I get done for the day.

I've added a lighter colour to the roadway as I'm going for a dry, compacted look rather than muddy, hence not sinking tank #1 into the surface. Sunlight through the door has muddled up the cameras interpretation of the colours here.

2023-07-01 14.29.22.jpg

While it might be hard to see in my crappy photo I've gone over the running gear & tracks in exactly the same colour then airbrushed a dusty layer of it around the vehicles. That was a laugh, trying to get cheap craft paint to play nicely through an airbrush, but perhaps the random and often splattery spray has helped lol

2023-07-01 15.15.24.jpg

Then it was time to start the water. One tank will be slightly submerged so I started with a bottom layer, then will add more depth once the vehicle is fixed in place. It's also a good test of whether this old resin is still any good after a few years, and if my base leaks I won't lose the whole lot in one go :smiling5:

I mixed it in an old vape juice bottle as it has handy graduations and a fine nozzle allowing me to mix & pour accurately. Being a bit clumsy I kept everything inside this handy container, supplied completely free with my last order from the shop!

2023-07-01 14.37.45.jpg

I do think I added a drop too much paint though as it looks more like vending machine coffee than muddy water but that's another advantage of building it up in layers.

2023-07-01 14.46.06.jpg

It now has a lid over it to keep the dust out but I keep popping back and bursting any bubbles that have risen to the surface by playing a flame over quickly.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Ooh, resin (?) water — I never dared try that on a diorama, so I’m very interested to see how you get along with it.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Resin, yes. It's some I have left over from a diorama I did a few years back. It's gone a bit thick so took it's time to flow out but seems to be working. Won't know until tomorrow if it has hardened up fully (slower curing produces less potentially damaging heat) so fingers crossed.

I have some Vallejo still water if it all goes pear shaped but that takes days to layer up to the kind of depth I need.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Beautiful work Andy!!! I really hope the resin water works out for you. You killed me with the vending machine coffee comment!!!...But you're right...

About my last comment earlier, I had a strange idea in the back of my head (brain fart), that you did like Brussel Sprouts though. LOL!!!...Keep it coming my friend, as this is gonna be a fantastic dio!!!...

Prost
Allen

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks again guys. We're getting closer to the finish line.

The vehicles & figures are now in place and I've done the second resin pour. Unfortunately I didn't have quite enough left but I have a backup plan.

I'm still undecided about the boat. Looks okay without but would be a shame not to add it.

2023-07-02 18.01.57.jpg

2023-07-02 18.02.30.jpg

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Neil, Pete, thanks for confirming my thoughts.

I'd made the boat primarily to fill a dead space but now that everything is in place I think it may look odd.

I'm sure he'll resurface another time

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Super colour mixed up, love the board layout very realistic.
I'm another for removing the boat , agree about it not being needed .
The Committee are watching intently !

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
So, not much has happened with this for a few months. The mention of vegetation really knocked the wind out of my sails. I'd never planned for any, or even thought about it, but I guess the scene won't look right without some. Then with the water not going to plan this seemed destined for the bin. I ended up putting it to one side though, just in case I could ever be bothered to do more work on it.

Since I'm waiting for my next kit to arrive and am just twiddling my thumbs I dug it out yesterday, but despite being covered with a towel it is covered in silver overspray, probably from my big truck build. I've rubbed & scrubbed with all manor of things but I still have two sparkling Comets :rolling: The flakes are really clinging on to the matt surface.

So back under its cover it goes. For now.