Comet-ed

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
we're fast approaching 30°C in the shed
I wish it was that cool in my attic modelling room, I might actually go there and do something, then :smiling3:

Andy T

It's all in the wrist
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I wish it was that cool in my attic modelling room, I might actually go there and do something, then :smiling3:
I complain when it's too cold, then complain when it's too warm :smiling5:

I'm sure you well know that it's not just a comfort thing either. Our paints, glues, even some materials perform so differently when outside their "standard" range.

Andy T

It's all in the wrist
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks again Rick & Paul.

I know I'll never match some of the stellar modellers we have on here but I'm trying to do each element to the best of my abilities and crossing my fingers that it will show in the end result.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I complain when it's too cold, then complain when it's too warm :smiling5:
With building models in the shed, too cold is of course more of a problem than it is in the attic. Too hot, I guess both of us will have to live with :smiling3:

I'm sure you well know that it's not just a comfort thing either. Our paints, glues, even some materials perform so differently when outside their "standard" range.
That’s my main advantage: no risk of anything getting too cold :smiling3:

Andy T

It's all in the wrist
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Sorry Andy, I completely missed your reply!

Thanks, and yes it's still warm here too. I'm having paint dry up on my wet palette in a matter of minutes. That can't be good :smiling5:

On the plus side, the oil washes should dry fairly well!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Sorry Andy, I completely missed your reply!

Thanks, and yes it's still warm here too. I'm having paint dry up on my wet palette in a matter of minutes. That can't be good :smiling5:

On the plus side, the oil washes should dry fairly well!
Never used this myself, but painters in hot countries sometimes set their wet palette up using ice cubes and water. The cool surface of the wet palette then keeps the paint from drying up.

Andy T

It's all in the wrist
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
We have a chilled water dispenser which might be a good shout. It's my own fault really for having a fan blowing to keep me a bit cooler. I'll try and set up some kind of baffle so it doesn't blow over the palette.

A miniature painter I follow isn't a fan of wet palettes but uses a ceramic tile sat on ice.

• Wow
Reactions: JR

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
We have a chilled water dispenser which might be a good shout. It's my own fault really for having a fan blowing to keep me a bit cooler. I'll try and set up some kind of baffle so it doesn't blow over the palette.

A miniature painter I follow isn't a fan of wet palettes but uses a ceramic tile sat on ice.
Yep, airflow over the palette will dry the paint more quickly…..never come across a cold dry palette before, but would think the paint would flow over the surface too quickly on a flat tile. Who is the painter?
I used a dry palette (daisy petal style) for years, but would never go back to it. There is just so much more control using a wet palette. It is so easy to adjust liquidity and transparency, and the paint stays as you set it up. On a dry palette the paint changes fluidity quickly, but you don’t control it. All you can do is mix up a fair quantity to reduce the impact of evaporation. You use far less paint on a wet palette as well…..

Andy T

It's all in the wrist
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Yep, airflow over the palette will dry the paint more quickly…..never come across a cold dry palette before, but would think the paint would flow over the surface too quickly on a flat tile. Who is the painter?

Doctor Faust.

It's not something I'm interested in trying myself as I'm getting along well with the wet palette (although I'm considering a larger one) but here's a link to his video on it:

Andy T

It's all in the wrist
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Sorted out the main stowage for tank #2.

It's a bit shiney right now as I'm waiting on a delivery of satin varnish, and I realise it's all quite "samey" too but it's military issue, not Bennaton lol

PXL_20230614_192116244.jpg

And I've finally tackled the tracks. They'll be getting more work once the tanks are fully built up but at least I know there's something on the areas I'll not be able to reach later.

PXL_20230614_191943957.jpg

They did fall apart in a couple of places during the process so I hope they still fit! :surprised:

Next I need to man up and start throwing some mud effects at the lower hull and running gear so that I can finish construction.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Would you like a few photos of what light mud spattering looks like on a real Comet, for inspiration?

Andy T

It's all in the wrist
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
If you have some it would be greatly appreciated Jakko (even if I can't reproduce the effect :smiling5: )

I've found some pictures but know you are a master at finding good references.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
These references were easy enough to find — I happened to be in the right place at the right time:

Comet at Bovington, 20-09-2002.jpgComet hull front.jpgComet drive sprocket.jpgComet roadwheels.jpg

These were taken on 10 September 2002 at Bovington, where they had just done some demos with a few tanks including this Comet. Afterward it was parked next to the arena for people to examine and clamber all over and in (trust me when I say those driver’s hatches are awkward to get in and out of :smiling3: even when you’re skinny and wearing just jeans, a T-shirt and a summer jacket — I wouldn’t want to do that with tank overalls and winter clothes on) and I thought I’d take some photos of the mud for reference.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Just caught up with this project Andy. Some wonderful stuff going on here and I’m really looking forward to the progress and the eventual reveal.
Excellent stuff :thumb2:
Paul

Andy T

It's all in the wrist
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks Paul, much appreciated.
You’re welcome :smiling3: I only took these four photos else I’d post more …
Even those four have highlighted a few things for me to bear in mind.

Of course artistic license will be in full effect but at least if I know what it should look like, I can try to stay close to that.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Good to see they will be useful for inspiration :smiling3: I wouldn’t want to try and replicate all those little mud spatters on the wheels myself, I know that … but the photos are good for showing that mud doesn’t immediately get into the deeper areas of wheels, but starts with the outer parts. Of course, spend more time driving through mud and the whole wheels will be covered. IMHO they also show that you’re really better off not even painting the hull sides with the vehicle colour — this tank had been doing no more than maybe 15 minutes to half an hour in somewhat muddy ground, and nothing of the base colour remains visible.

Andy T

It's all in the wrist
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Agreed. I was going to pin wash etc around the lower hull but after seeing those pictures I've just slapped mud over the base colour.

I also noticed the absence of polished metal parts on the tracks and drive sprockets that many modellers add.

I'm sure different vehicles and driving conditions would have produced different results but at least I know it won't be "wrong" if I don't make too much of an effort in that regard.