Completed Airfix 1/24 Supermarine Spitfire mkvb

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
I decided to do the tropical version on this for two reasons the first was to see if I can get a decent camo look from pure oil paints and it surprised me that not only is it possible but it looks much more authentic and imo you can only get a better look with an airbrush the second was it looks much cooler in a tropical/desert camo :smiling3:

Build thread http://www.scale-models.co.uk/community/threads/airfix-1-24-supermarine-spitfire-mk-vb.29114/

View attachment 95220

View attachment 95221

View attachment 95222

View attachment 95223

View attachment 95224

View attachment 95225

View attachment 95226

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

D

Deleted member 4203

Looks great, especially now that we can see it at different angles ;) Top job :D

First Name
Mike
That looks brilliant Alan, the oil-painted camo is superb. Faded spinner looks spot-on, too.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
One of your best Al. nicely worked and a great use of mediums. Top work mate, like this very much.

Si:smiling3:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Thanks chaps it's much appreciated:smiling3:

I've just put this on britmodeller so I'll see what reception it gets on there lol

D

dubster72

You've done a great job in beating that old kit into shape Alan! Lovely stuff buddy :smiling3:

I might be tempted to join the 1/24 gang now!

P

Polux

I'm with Si, Alan!! One of your best...if not the best!!

I don't specially like the Spit, but this one is s beauty.

The oil paint has been a great idea ;)

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
You've done a great job in beating that old kit into shape Alan! Lovely stuff buddy :smiling3: I might be tempted to join the 1/24 gang now!
I say do it mate , the 1/24 mossie will be released soon :D

\ said:
I'm with Si, Alan!! One of your best...if not the best!!I don't specially like the Spit, but this one is s beauty.

The oil paint has been a great idea ;)
cheers mate not too sound too big headed I think it's my best so far as well and if my hurricane turns out half as good in the SSIG I'm going to be pleased :D

T

T. van Vuuren

That look cool! I like it :smiling:

In 24th scale it must be really impressive in real life.

Well done

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Well done, a very nice Spitfire. Those tropical colours have come out very nicely.

You've got the jump on me for the SIG. I haven't built a 1/24 model for at least 15 years, maybe more, but I have found a 1/24 pilot in my cupboard who looks suspiciously Airfix and may very well have come from the old Spitfire kit :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Cheers folks I appreciate it :smiling3:

\ said:
Well done, a very nice Spitfire. Those tropical colours have come out very nicely.You've got the jump on me for the SIG. I haven't built a 1/24 model for at least 15 years, maybe more, but I have found a 1/24 pilot in my cupboard who looks suspiciously Airfix and may very well have come from the old Spitfire kit :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve
I'm looking forward to seeing your Steve it's a very unusual looking bird the float version of the spit

Are you doing the air race version or the FAA version ?

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
The version from the kit is for one of those sent to North Africa with the intention of operating against the Germans from 'secret' bases in the Greek islands. That never happened.

The kit has a rather odd paint scheme with a Day Fighter Scheme and yellow prototype undersides. Mine will look a little more realistic in a Temperate Sea Scheme...I hope.

A quick look in the box shows that I've got more to worry about than the colours :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

S

steve scan

Alan you have done a fantastic job of this one, I have owned this years ago and when I saw what I had in the box got rid of it :smiling3: so I know the work you have had to put in.