Completed...Confederate Grape Shot....Chancellorsville, May 1863

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
The Battle of Chancellorsville took place in May 1863 during the American Civil War.....There were a total of over 30,000 casualties from both sides....

The Confederate lines have been breached by Union cannon fire. The cavalry, seeing an opportunity are charging the gap......Full of confidence, they don't spot the Confederate artillery waiting for the right moment.

I have tried to capture the moment the Rebel guns open up on the attackers.........

The kit is 'Attack!' a 1/35 Master Box offering. Brilliant kit, loads of detail and nicely sculpted, 'till I hacked at it, that is! I have added some 'Hair' to the horses manes and tails to break the plastic up a bit. The horses reins are bits of thin paper and the rope thingies dangling from the troopers sides are made from sewing thread.

Thanks for the encouraging posts during the building of this, and thanks for looking in at the finished model.....I hope you like it.

Cheers all,

Ron

View attachment 76102

View attachment 76103

View attachment 76104

View attachment 76105

View attachment 76106

View attachment 76107

View attachment 76108

View attachment 76109

View attachment 76110

I beg your indulgence with this last set of pictures, but my wife bought me one of those portable camera studio thingies for Chrizzy and she insisted I try it out......You know how it is!!

These pictures are the result.

View attachment 76111

View attachment 76112

View attachment 76113

View attachment 76114

View attachment 76115

View attachment 76116

View attachment 76117

View attachment 76118

View attachment 76119

Thanks again for looking...

Cheers,

Ron

Battle of Antietam 027.jpg

Battle of Antietam 028.jpg

Battle of Antietam 026.jpg

Battle of Antietam 029.jpg

Battle of Antietam 033.jpg

Battle of Antietam 034.jpg

Battle of Antietam 040.jpg

Battle of Antietam 043.jpg

Battle of Antietam 045.jpg

Battle of Antietam 053.jpg

Battle of Antietam 054.jpg

Battle of Antietam 056.jpg

Battle of Antietam 057.jpg

Battle of Antietam 058.jpg

Battle of Antietam 059.jpg

Battle of Antietam 060.jpg

Battle of Antietam 061.jpg

Battle of Antietam 062.jpg

M

mobear

Ron this is awesome mate,really give the illusion of motion and nicely painted too

mobear

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Brilliant Ron , I love the soldier being thrown from his horse it give a real feeling of movement and life

Well done

First Name
Richard
Hi Ron,

nice job on the models, I really like the paint job.

as for the last set of pictures. Here is my opinion:

- it seems these pictures show more detail.

- let the shadows look real.

and as always the B&W pictures are great. brings the whole diorama to live.

5* build fr

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
That's an absolute little gem Ron! Captures the action and the moment perfectly.

Gern

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Top action scene ron , its got a great sense of animation, i can just hear the cannons ! cheers tony

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks chaps for the great comments....

Richard, Re the last set of pictures, they are o.k., but to my eyes they are too squeaky clean, clinical somehow.....Allright for a single subject....a tank, aircraft and the like, where detail is paramount, but not for this sort of thing, where a background is to be preferred.....Don't tell my wife though!!

B

Bunkerbarge

Ron, It is a brave man that takes on an action scene as a diorama. You have done a stunning job with this though and make something that you can enjoy looking at for a long time. Great detail and execution and a brilliant job of the base.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
absolutely-fabulous,

cannot add more that what has been said , real great job,

cheers

O

omi1966

Poor horseys ! Great action and we'll painted the last pictures are a lot clearer. Composition is very good something happening from every angle. We'll done sir.

Martin.

A

american

it is a lovely job. well done. one thing... the rider on the right hand side, last picture ... he is having his sward in the air like beeing prepared to be engaged in a fight. can you place a oponent the other side of the trance just in front of the horse?

it is just an ideea...

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
it is a lovely job. well done. one thing... the rider on the right hand side, last picture ... he is having his sward in the air like beeing prepared to be engaged in a fight. can you place a oponent the other side of the trance just in front of the horse?it is just an ideea...
Good idea Catalin, but I couldn't put a Confederate Soldier where you suggest because I have tried to depict the instant the Union Cavalry were hit by the grape shot, so there wouldn't be any defenders by the breach.

I had the idea that the trooper in question has received some shot to his head and is reacting by raising his hand.

Thank you for the suggestion nonetheless.

Cheers,

Ron

A

american

I had so Manny time the same problem. Everybody are having a fiferent image in theyr mind, never your own image us a creator of the scene. I am agreed totally whit your point of view.!!!!

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
I totally missed this one Ron, apologies for that. Utterly superb, great modelling but the feeling of action, movement and the smell of gunpowder mingled with the cries of the wounded and the whinnies of the horses really comes across. Wonderful piece and well set out. I really like this one.

Si:smiling3:

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Ron

Nice action-packed dio!

Those Master Box sets really are very good aren't they? That said it takes some skill to bring the best out of them and you certainly have.

I love the drama in this scene, you can almost hear the thunder of those horses hooves, fabulous!

This diorama actually leaves me wanting more, I'd love to see a large dio with say a dozen cavalry charging 20 or more Confederate soldiers with canon etc. At this standard that would be amazing.

Great stuff Ron and change from the usual.

All the best

Paul