Completed Me262

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I reckon this is done. The sharp eyed will notice that the cannon bay panels are not fixed. I intend to pose them open but due to a technical hitch called "losing the little prop things that hold them up" this will have to wait until I either find them or make up some more (easy)!

I've done an imaginary walkaround.

And from an imaginary helicopter!

If you want to build a large scale Me262 buy this one and don't waste your time with the old Hasegawa kit. It was so good I've already ordered another,single seat,version.

Cheers

Steve

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Steve this is one supreme model and very well photographed.

I have thoroughly enjoyed following this build. Thank you for sharing it with us.

I could rabbit on, but I will leave it at that. Well done....Big 5!

Cheers,

Ron

B

Bunkerbarge

Absolutely stunning, fabulous detail and that canopy is wonderful.

Now for the question, I was under the impression that the swastikas were in pieces to get around German laws but that they had to be "assembled" on the model, so you were actually getting swastikas in the kit but no-one could sue the manufacturer.

Are these such swastikas or were they actually broken up like this on the real aircraft?

F

Ferrets Bueller

Excellent job mate youve done a superb job on the 262 well done

F

Fenlander

Like Richard, I thing the canopy looks amazing, just jumps out the picture. Superb build as always Steve, you can tell with your work when you are building a machine you are fond of, this looks a little like a love affair rather than fond lol.

Beautiful build and paint and a great build thread to, nice on bud.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Now for the question, I was under the impression that the swastikas were in pieces to get around German laws but that they had to be "assembled" on the model, so you were actually getting swastikas in the kit but no-one could sue the manufacturer.
Thanks for the nice comments. It's a great kit and I'm glad you like it.

Graham,considering that the Me262 is powered by haidryers rather than proper propellers I'm finding myself getting a bit obsessed with it. It was a remarkable airplane. The undercarriage does spoil its shark like lines and I'm toying with the idea of doing the next one posed in flight. I'm sure I have a suitable 1/32 pilot who was left out of an earlier effort!

The swastikas are often either broken up or absent from kits but the ones I've applied here aren't actually from the kit! None of the kit ones were correct. This style was a very late war stencil which I've only seen on Me262s (though that doesn't mean they didn't get used elsewhere). By late war we are talking really late, "Red 10" was probably the aircraft delivered to 10./NJG11 by Leutnant Herbert Altner early in April 1945.The weight of opinion is that this was the style "Red 10" had before the British overpainted it with an RAF fin flash. Luckily I had this correct size and style on one of my swastika sheets. It's a Techmod sheet (WWII German Swastikas # 32003A) and contrary to what people say about Techmod decals,they didn't shatter or fall apart LOL.

Thanks again

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
T

treyzx10r

Steve,that is a beautiful build and the suttle shading on the bottom is simply stunning. Museum quality stuff, outstanding !!!!

I

Iwtcha

Superior work, I like paintjob. Excellent presentation.

Ivica

S

sprayman

Stunning job Steve, a masterpiece.......you have made me think about getting my 1/32 Trumpeter Me-262 A -2a out of the loft and having a look at it, great job all round Steve.:xyxthumbs:

B

Bunkerbarge

Thanks for the follow up Steve, I'm relieved the swastikas are correct.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Steve mate, simply superb as always,- faultless , cheers tony

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Thanks for the follow up Steve, I'm relieved the swastikas are correct.
No worries,as with many of these things you can only make an informed guess. That style of swastika was certainly applied to some nightfighter conversions carried out by the Deutsche Lufthansa workshops at Berlin-Staaken and we can only assume that it was common to them all. All my references for "Red 10" are from when it was already in allied hands and the swastikas were overpainted. The decider for me was that Smith and Creek went for this style in their profile and,with the best will in the world, I prefer them over Trumpeter.

This kind of thing is what got me interested in the Luftwaffe in the first place. It's quite possible that someone will turn up a picture proving me (and Smith and Creek) wrong......I bloody hope not LOL.

Cheers

Steve

S

Sky Raider

Spoton Steve, another masterpeice. Very well done mate.

Andy

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Stunning. Totally stunning. Love it Steve

B

Bunkerbarge

I think it's this striving for perfection, but knowing we may never achieve it, that keeps the modelling world interesting. I guess if we all made a perfect model every time and knew it was true to reality there wouldn't be much point in continuing. You've done a pretty good job of getting close to the picture though!

D

Doctor Cranky

Beautiful job on the paint, and the whole thing reminds me of how much I really like these WWII German models!