Completed - Roden 1/48 Gloster Sea Gladiator

First Name
Dave
Finally completed this model.Im not totally happy with it,but then I never am.I messed up the paint on the top wing. So I had to respray that and use some roundels from my spares.The rigging was hard to get straight because I used thick fishing line.Ive tried weathering it a bit as these aircraft look pretty beat up in photos I've seen.Ive modelled this aircraft as one flown mostly by Fl Lt George Burgess in 1940 during the defence of Malta.This aircraft was one of six left behind by HMS Glorious when she left Malta to take part in the Norwegian campaign.In this aircraft, George Burges registered the first success over Malta when he shot down an Italian SM79.He shot down two more aircraft in N5519 and was awarded the DFC.

D

First Name
Richard
Nice Dave,

beautiful plane you got there nice detail, it came out good, so be Happy with it.

cheers Richi

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
lovely job dave ! the sea scheme looks great and top work on the rigging , loving the lettering on the tryes too! , cheers tony

First Name
Gregg
Can't see anything to criticise there Dave, definitely looks the part to me.

Gregg

B

Bunkerbarge

I think carrier based aircraft of this time must have taken quite a hammering with salt spray and sun bleaching taking it's toll. The weathering looks spot on and I really like the way the grey and the green have been bleached out and toned down. Lovely looking model and a great asset to any collection.

C

CDW

Nowt wrong with that at all, love all the little details and the weathering is quite realistic indeed!

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I can't see why you're complaining Dave, that looks good to me!

Gern

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Beautiful work Dave. I enjoyed watching this one come together and I think that you have done this one justice and have ended up with a model any of us would be happy with. Great build.

First Name
Dave
Thanks for all your kind comments.I am pleased with it. I think I was being harsh with myself because Ive recently seen so many fantastic builds at Telford.Dont think I will ever reach that standard though.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Nice one Dave. As others have said, I think the weathering is great. The paint work on the upper surfaces looks a little faded, nice effect.

I think it's dangerours for any of us to compare our builds to the 'show' exhibits. I compare my build, to the last one I built - and sometimes find I haven't always moved forward !

Colin M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
A little gem that Dave.

Well played with the weathering.

Ian M