Completed *** Rorke's Drift. The Hospital and Grounds. Jan. 24/25th 1879.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
The Battle is over. The Zulus have gone.
17 defenders were killed in action.
Estimates vary how many Zulus were killed. In total 600/700 seems to be about the accepted number. Around 400 were left badly wounded or captured. These were shown no mercy and promptly massacred by the British relief column and buried in a mass grave.

The model is made from a cupboard shelf, scrap 20mm polystrene board from washing machine packaging, cocktail sticks, string, putty, scrunched up stone from the garden, moss from my flat roof and one crunched up weetabix. All painted in cheap 'tube' acrylics.......Not forgetting one lit Swan Vesta match - other makes are available!

The building is only loose fitted, as the base will probably be disposed of - or re-cycled.

Sorry, but there's enough violence in this world of ours, so there are no bodies lying around. To avoid having to add some, I've tried to model the diorama two days after the Battle.

With the British defeat at Isandlwana still smarting, swift orders have been issued to tidy up the garrison.
Sentries posted - Just in case!

Only 11 graves. I figured the remaining fatalities might have been consumed by the hospital fire - Who knows?

Cheers and thanks for all your support throughout this build.

Ron

D

Deleted member 4539

Turning a pile of crap into a great looking scene is a great thing to see.
Super modelling Ron.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ron
As always with your work you have shown what can be done on a real budget. Great model and excellent photos.
You can now put the shelf back in the wardrobe so that Mrs Ron doesn't have to keep her undies in a carrier bag any longer!
Jim

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
What great things come from the corners of your mind (and garden) Ron.
Great job. Could I prompt you to make a single thread with a couple of each of the stages through the Rorkes drift saga. They deserve to bo together.

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
The finished article looks great Ron, just goes to show what can be done with stuff you find lying around.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Ron,
That is a great build mate, the touch with the graves is a great touch showing the result of the battle without being graphic. I have enjoyed this build from the start, bring on the next one.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks everyone for all your most excellent posts.

Ian M - Thanks for your suggestion. I had briefly thought about bringing both the builds together as a finale, but I suspect folks are 'Zulu'd Out'

Cheers all.
Ron

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
570, I have thoroughly enjoyed this build and banter epic you have created. It not only brought back fond memories of the movie but also taught me a lot about the real history of Rorke's Drift
And the ensuing events. Thank you for your superb efforts and congratulations on a job well done!
Cheers, Rick H.

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Missed most of your Zulu work Ron but this is a great looking dio.:thumb2::thumb2:

Neat to set it two days after the battle, to show the aftermath of it all.

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Ron,
I missed the end of your build, but I am pleased to be able to see the finished item - great work.
Cheers, Mike.