Completed....spanner's desert patrol Hummer.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Here is my completed 1/35 Academy Hummer.

I went right off on a limb and had a look at different variants, and with a few bit and bobs from my bits box - even bits from a Tiger Tank - I came up with this one off Hummer.

No specific country, I just imagined it patrolling far behind enemy lines, living off the land and the crew scrounging what they could, when they could. They have come across what looks like a road block and are investigating....Why no gunner? He's inside sending a coded message on the radio!! No I.D. on the vehicle either.....just in case.

I dispensed with the supplied doors and replaced these with roll down tissue paper 'blinds'. I also left off the kit's plastic cammo nets and scratch made my own out of kitchen roll with a bit of herbs sprinkled on, the other is a bit of mesh from a bird seed ball holder, plus things to shove in the sand if they got stuck, and a shovel. As well as other bits which looked the part.

I used a small diorama base I already had and used the MIG MUD John kindly sent to me. The figures are nicked from my mini 'Afghanistan' G.B. dio. and repainted.

This has been a good bit of free spirit modelling and I hope you like the pictures of Ron's imaginary version...

Polux, sorry it's not a specific type...I got carried away! Also thanks for organising this SIG...

Cheers all,

Ron

View attachment 61304

View attachment 61305

View attachment 61306

View attachment 61307

View attachment 61308

View attachment 61309

View attachment 61310

View attachment 61311

View attachment 61312

View attachment 61313

View attachment 61314

View attachment 61315

G.B. HUMMER 002.jpg

G.B. HUMMER 001.jpg

G.B. HUMMER 003.jpg

G.B. HUMMER 004.jpg

G.B. HUMMER 005.jpg

G.B. HUMMER 006.jpg

G.B. HUMMER 007.jpg

G.B. HUMMER 008.jpg

G.B. HUMMER 009.jpg

G.B. HUMMER 011.jpg

G.B. HUMMER 013.jpg

G.B. HUMMER 014.jpg

C

Caledonia

Hi Ron, as always amazed at the realism you always achieve with your dio's, that mud is so real. 5 Sar again. Cheers Derek

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That's brilliant as usual Ron.

The more of these completed Hummers I see the more trepidation I feel about finishing mine!

Cheers

Steve

C

CDW

you kept this under the radar mate.... and freebie mud from the boss, that's favoritism that is !!! :smiling3: :smiling3: (I assume it was free for the review (nicely writen by the way) as you normally make your own like me)

anyway your build ....... two words me old mucker ...... FIVE STARS!!!!!'

B

Bunkerbarge

What a great diorama and what a great story to go with it. I do like the way you have thought it all through and got an answer for every potential question!

On the modelling side though , great realism and a picture telling a story scene that works so well. The earth effects have worked really well as does the weathering on the Hummer and the figures. I kid you not I can hear the engine noise as I look at it!

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
quality dio buddy as always its a right mud bath will have to look into getting some of that there mud

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks everyone....Mud, mud, glorious mud!!! It certainly finishes the model off nicely.

Considering the wealth of talent on Scale Models, I'm humbled that John asked me to try out the MIG MUD.....It is amazing stuff, and is perfect for anyone who has wanted to make mud for dios. but has baulked at the idea. It's so easy to use. Literally open the lid and spread it on, then play around with it!!

I'll still be using my tile adhesive, but I heartily recommend the product for anyone wanting an easy, quick and fool proof way of using 'mud' in their models. It was the first time I'd ever used products specifically made for models, so, as the old saying goes.....If I can, then.......!

So get ordering from John's shop. You won't regret it.

Cheers,

Ron

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Ron you dirty boy! This looks brilliant mate , the whole scene is superbly well done and i love the ron treatment on the Hummer , not only the additions /removals but the way its cacked up to the eyeballs too!!! 5 star job matey , cheers tony

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Great work Ron Great vision great realism great. Makes mine ( Grasshopper ) pale into insignificance Ha Ha Well worth 5 stars my friend

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks fellas, the best bit about this SIG is the choice of Hummers.....When I was looking through Google Images, I was amazed not only by the loads of variants, the rough state of the veehikkles, but it looks like the crews were allowed to do just what they liked to them, to sort of personalize them.

I thoroughly enjoyed the do anything theme for this particular SIG and it has produced great, well thought out results from everyone who has posted their finished model.

Well done boys.....

Ron

Last edited by a moderator:

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Great work Ron, always so much to look at in such a small space.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Colin and Andy. I had great fun doing the alterations to the Hummer and not having to worry about accuracy, 'cos it's all mine and there ain't another like it! lol

Cheers,

Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Cheers Dave, I'm glad you like my Hummer and thanks for the 5*

Hope to see you at Cosford......

Ron

P

Polux

Hi Ron!

Another build with your excellent level friend.

The mud, the little scene and the Hummer looks just great.

I like this SIG because all the members are doing a fantastic work, with the kit and his imagination. I really happy guys!!

Five stars build mate!

Cheers. Polux

PS: Not, Thanks to you....without you and others this SIG must be not possible!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Hola Polux, I'm glad you like my contribution to your Hummer SIG.....It's been good fun, and as you say great to see different ideas for the build.

Tenga cuidado de mi amigo..

Ron

T

treyzx10r

Ron a most excellent looking mud bath,very reallistic! 5stars for sure,very nicely done Sir!

First Name
Dave
Nicely done Ron.The Hummer looks real,and I love the scenery.Something I wouldn't have a clue where to start with.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Great work (as usual) Ron. That mud does look very effective.

Love the ad hoc Humvee as well. Very along the lines of the WWII SAS jeeps, get what you can and add anything you can beg, borrow or steal.

Nice one. Five more stars.

Ian M