Compressor confusion!

G

GazB

Hi folks,

I have been using the same compressor since I started, it's an AB-AS176 finescale pixie. I used to think it worked fine, but after recently discovering it has a (very small) tank and messing about with the pressure control i'm not so sure anymore and I have thoroughly managed to confuse myself.

I have always sprayed at 15-20 psi and the compressor has always run constantly. Once I found out it had a tank I thought this was odd, and started messing with the pressure control, I have found that if I turn the pressure up over 40 the compressor will cut out until I use it again, but once turned back down to around 20 it just runs constantly and bleeds off pressure (presumably bleeding off air is how it maintains 20 psi??)

The thing i'm trying to get across (badly) is, shouldn't I be able to set the pressure control to 20psi and then the compressor switch off when it reaches that pressure? otherwise it seems I have to make a choice of painting at 40psi and blowing plastic around the garage or having it run constantly...surely thats not right??

So is it not working correctly?

Is it just a cheap compressor which could do with replacing?

Do you get compressors which will cut out at say 20psi or do they all run by bleeding off air, if thats the case I can't see the point of having a tank....like I said i'm confused!!

If anyone understands what i'm trying to get across and blathering on about any advice would be appreciated, I have just spent ages trawling the net and i'm none the wiser.

Cheers,

Gary.

T

tecdes

Good blathering Gary. All clear.

Had a similar problem with I think it was the same model. Yes the compressor should turn off as soon as the tank has filled with air. If it does not there is a leak some where.

Now gone through two compressors in 18 months. The second also had a leak, no tank, but the air pressure then slowly became intermittent.

My supplier thought that the regulator was probably at fault but the cost of repair is not viable unless you can find the problem obtain the spares & repair.

Go for a tank as you get a better smoother air flow. I was determined not to believe it but experience won through to my grey cells & the present tank compressor does a far better job.

Laurie

W

wbk666

weve just changed to one with a tank and it is far better than the tankless one we used to have.

G

GazB

Thanks for the advice. I think I now have a valid excuse for buying a new one. I'll just tell the wife Laurie says it's not working properly...lol

Any recommendations? I have been looking at either the AS189 design or an AS196 twin cylinder jobbie (the designs all seem rather generic - with many different manufacturers) Ebay seems to have loads of them based around these designs for under £100 or is it worth buying something branded like an Iwata? (the price premium seems high though)

T

tecdes

I went for the AS 196 job Gary. First Steve (Stona) said he had good service form this model. Second the supplier who uses them himself said that the twin cylinder meant less heat & wear.

Found it very good. But think I am unlucky as there is a leak . It is not enough to cause any problems. Just not holding full pressure after 24 hours. It is going back soon for replacement.

Looked around for a super pefect job but found the cost could afford 3 AS196 types.

Also found a couple twice the price of the AS196 marketed under another banner. The cylinder heads, tank & a few other things all matched the AS196 except they use a lot of slick black paint in place of silver.

Yes just refer the wife to me Gary I will sort it. One condition you owe me then.

Laurie

C

Cooperman69

I've also got the AS196 and it's a pretty good compressor for the price.

But I have like Laurie had a couple of air leaks. Now don't let this put you off as I found it really simple to remedy with a spanner, 10 minutes of time and some soapy water. Turn on the compressor and with a small brush go around all the pipe connections with the soapy water. If you get bubbles then you have a small leak. Simply tighten the joint until it stops.

More recently I had air letting by the solenoid relief valve on the head which made the compressor run every 20 seconds or so. I took off the cylinder heads (4 Allen bolts each) and found quite a bit of debris around the white mushroom looking seals. Simply cleaned under a tap and made sure the valve and seat where clean, and refitted. I also took apart the non return valve that goes from the heads to the tank. This also had a lot of debris under the valve seat so also got a wash.

On refitting I used ptfe tape and joint sealer on the pipes. 15 minutes later it was all back together and now holds air like a submarine lol.

It seems that unfortunately most things are built at a price in China these days, but if you have a problem then 20 mins of your time should sort it out for the life of the compressor.

Laurie, if I were you I'd have a quick look at the pipe connections, valves in the head and non return valve before returning it. May save you the postage.

Atb, Colin

T

tecdes

Thanks Colin for that. Some good tips there.

Went around when I realised the problem with a brush & washing up liquid water but did not get anything. It must be quite a smallish leak.

As it is only about 6 weeks old with probably about two hours use I would not have thought it was debris.

I am capable of doing the plumbing but I am a bit worried as it still has 9.5 months to run under guarantee.

As instructed by the Supplier I did tighten down the piston cylinder heads.

Yes agree with you Colin certainly did not want to put any one off with my leak problem. For the money it really is an inexpensive piece of machinery. Also with a 12 month gurantee you are covered.

Gives me an idea. Still got my old one think I will strip it & find if I can get it to run as it should.

Laurie

G

GazB

My new AS196 arrives tomorrow, And to be honest I'm a tad excited!

T

tecdes

\ said:
My new AS196 arrives tomorrow, And to be honest I'm a tad excited!
You will not be disappointed Gaz.

Did some air brushing this evening & best so far. Good luck.

Laurie

T

Tony Maloan

If you don't have any luck with that, I highly recommend the Sparmax 610; great build quality!

I bought mine from The Spraygun Company Ltd Sparmax Compressors

G

GazB

Evening,

Just wanted to report how happy I am with my AS196. Apart from the fact it doesn't leak, I seem to be able to use a lower pressure (12-15 psi rather than 20) and the upshot of this is the finished paintwork seems finer and control better. I also haven't had a single paint spot splatter since I have started using it...i don't think my old one was giving me a steady supply of air at all. I just wish I'd changed it ages ago.

Cheers!

T

tecdes

Go on Gaz rub it in we cannot all have leaky compressors !!!

I had the same experience just not realized that the previous one had deteriorated so much. I was blaming the airbrush originally. But it works well & gives a great finish. Plus also due to the old compressor my two airbrushes were given the clean of their life.

Amazing thing is compressors have virtually halved in the near two years that I began model making. Unfortunately airbrushes have not.

Laurie