"Createx Opaque Airbrush Colors"

J

johnpipe108

I've searched the paint forum on 'Createx' and did not find a result, so I felt I'd better share what I found out, as I'm learning that there can be "gotchas" associated with purchasing the right stuff to suit our model-bulding purposes.

My nearest local hobby-shoppe is two towns to the south of here; we have two local art-shoppes, however, one of which is within 3/4 mile, I used to be able to walk there and back, too much sciatica and other nonsense for too long to do that now, have to wait for a friend to drive me around. To make along story short, I bought what I thought were generic paints, as the name on the bottle suggests. However, it turns out that Createx has four different lines of airbrush paints, one optimized for fabric only (guess which one?!), one called Wicked Colors (air-cure, adheres to most surfaces, the one we want), one called Auto-Air Colors as it's compatible with automobile industry bases and glazes, and one optimized for artists and illustrators!

Some fishing-lure hobbyists use this paint, but balsa-wood fishing-lures are solid, one piece, not glued-up with wood-glue or model-airplane cement; this paint has to be heat-cured, and in this case either they hang the lures over the electric fire, or baste them with either a blow-dryer or a heat-gun!

Custom air-brushed 'T' shirts and other clothing are what "Createx Airbrush Colors" is made and specialized for; you iron the shirt on the shirt-easel immediately after painting, or make a stack and toss them into the laundry dryer for 40 minutes on high heat setting. This is what it takes to cure these colors, else they are non-permanent and will wash off in the laundry. They are popular with clothing artists as the resulting finish is soft and flexible after curing, doesn't easily flake and chip.

One other "Gotcha" with this fabric-optimized paint; the mfr. reccomends 40 - 50 psi for a typical medium-tip airbrush. I do know that most folks here report they are using airbrush-media, either enamel or acryllic, that works around 15 to 20 psi with medium-tips for their model painting; I do not yet know what psi rating is recommended by the maker for the following:

Wicked Colors (which the local shop can't get for me, so I got a $30.00USD refund ) air-cure to a harder finish than the above, and that's what one generally wants if choosing Createx brand airbrush colors for general hobby painting. If you see this brand where you buy colors, make sure you know this little "Gotcha" so you won't make the same mistake. Small Art-Shoppes here don't always have someone knowledgeable at the register all the time; our local was asked by my Hospice volunteer for "fountain-pen ink" and the clerk gave her "Acryllic Artists Ink" which is not "fountain-pen ink," and might work undiluted for my .25mm airbrush, and might not, who knows? (retorical question). I found out later they do stock fountain-pen ink, however they only stock the one line of airbrush colors, and I doubt if they even know they are not general-purpose and I, a rank beginner am going to have to explain it to them!

p.s. I did have to explain to them about why that particular stuff wasn't general purpose, but it seems they have artists/customers who use (non-airbrush) artists-acryillic and mix their own airbrush colors using an airbrush-base for thinning; more thinning than I want to have to do!

HTH,

John

Last edited: