Cromwell and Centaur ideas

First Name
Robert
Hi guys I'm looking for some ref for ideas.

In my stash I have a Cromwell 1/35 tamiya abs s centaur Taniya 1/35. I think j got the Cromwell idea sorted " last days of Germany" fully laden with kit etc and few patrolling British serviceman ongsg ruined buildings possibly at an angle going over rubble. I have rec pics for this idea

Centaur is the problem, j only heard of one and that's in France by Pegasus bridge dnd j can't find many pics of centaurs in service.

All k know is they possibly served alongside marines? But I can't find colour ref other than tamiya a box art?

Any of you buffs out there help with pics and div details etc ??

Only got b/w pics of one in 1945 and that's no help

Regards

Robert

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
Hi Robert,

The Apprentices at Cobham Engineering did the restoration of the Centaur at Caen........ Try this link, and email their public relations people and ask for some piccies.

https://www.cobham.com/media/news/centaur-tank-restoration-for-70th-d-day-anniversary.aspx

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cromwell_tank#Combat_service

First Name
Robert
\ said:
Hi Robert,
The Apprentices at Cobham Engineering did the restoration of the Centaur at Caen........ Try this link, and email their public relations people and ask for some piccies.

https://www.cobham.com/media/news/centaur-tank-restoration-for-70th-d-day-anniversary.aspx
Hi peter

Thanks fir the link there. This is the only one I have seen in the flesh so to speak as this is ag Pegasus bridge by the Gondre cafe. My wife and I went on the D day tour the other year and I saw it then. I says it was a Cromwell but the guide ( ex para ) said it was a Centaur. I have quite a few in ref pics. Ill have to use these pics but I will be emailing the site. I know it's called a centaur bug basically it's an up gunned Cromwell

Regards

Robert

R

rememal

The Cenaur IV`s were used for a few weeks by the Royal Marines Armoured Support Group from D-Day and they were painted in SCC-1 which is the brown colour as per the box. Some of them were then, apparently, handed over to the RA in the 6th Airborne div but I haven`t seen any pics yet.

The Centaur was powered by the old Liberty engine as in the Crusader, The Cromwell by the Meteorite engine which was a down-rated and much modified version of the Meteor engine

Last edited:
R

rememal

11th Armored Div had Cromwells, 3 RTR and the Fife &Forfar Yeomanry, Welsh Guards (markings in the kit for these), 15/19th Hussars,2nd Northants Yeomanry, 123rd Hussars

7th Armd Div, too, 5 RTR, King`s Royal Irish Hussars, 4th CLY, 1 RTR, 5th RIDG,

Plenty of marking options for the Cromwell.

First Name
Robert
\ said:
My idea is from a passage I read about Centaurs coming ashore on DDay + 6 and again they giving fire support on Carantan but not sure if this accurate info. However what I plan is if I can get a few 1/35 ww2 British marines and have a beach idea of fire support.

Advice welcome

I think the Cromwell is sorted as I have enough input and the correct tank colours.

I need to get stowage etc but I'll try my spares bin first before looking online fir netting etc

Robert

R

rememal

Value Gear Details do some fantastic stowage items, only problem is they are now in the US, but still worth a look.