Cutter for photo etch

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
I cut PE using a curved blade on a sheet of hard perspex and it works well. Now Santa (aka the wife and daughter) have asked if there is anything model related I would like to find in my stocking. Has anyone any experience of or thoughts on the Xuron PE cutter or Tamiya PE scissors. Just wondered if they are worth having.
Thanks
Jim

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Hi Jim - personally I use the curved blade method on a black tile and will be sticking with it

The blade fits into any size gap between part and fret and doesn’t twist or distort the parts in any way and you can get it as close as you want to the part

Tried small scissors and found they bent parts and unless the side cutters are very small I doubt they would fit in some of the gaps

I dare say, as with most tools, you will get a variety of answers for and against

How about more RPZ stuff.......

D

Deleted member 4539

I am with Simon.
You are already using the best method.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Agree. Scissors always bent and curved the part. I wouldn't mind the RP Toolz guillotine/mitre for about £80 in my stocking this year if you are interested in a plastic cutter instead

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Thanks guys
I kinda expected that to be the case.
I wouldn't mind the RP Toolz guillotine/mitre
Now that looks a much better idea for Santa to give me :tongue-out3: I have a cheap guillotine but it is very flimsy and is only useful for thin, small section styrene. And John sells it in the shop so Santa can use my supporter's discount :thumb2:
Jim

I assume THIS is it

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Yep! Thats the one. They had them at Telford. They certainly looked the part. Not read any reviews as it is still on my list of wants.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi Jim Iv'e a pair of those Xuron PE cutters, very good, a clean cut, but expensive .
Still tend to use the scalpel though for what small amount of PE I attempt to use.

D

Deleted member 5496

Best I have come across is the American Razor blade.

I cut the PE on a DVD. It is hard enough to take the pressure but does not ruin the blade.
Tiles will ruin the blade edge.

The blade is very thin giving an edge which is sharper than a Morton by a long way.
Being thin enables the blade to cut right up to the edge of the PE. So close that in
the majority of cases I do not have to file clean up at all.

Being a fine edge you can get into extreme corners & nooks. Unlike cutters there
is no danger of damaging the PE. With the razor cut you will end up with a totally
flat PE part.

I offer the blade up to the edge of the PE. Very slight angle so that the V edge of the
razor is vertical to the edge of the PE. Move the blade up & down the edge then meet
the little fixing tab put on light pressure bending the back of the blade down.

Work on the middle between the tabs not at the ends it is more accurate.

For safety I tape one end of the blade up with insulation or plastic tape. Keeps the blood
in the correct place.

If you do have a slight bit of tab you may pare it off by using the same technique above.
Or put in a folder & gently with a diamond file remove the tab. Best file I have found
is the Tamiya Diamond File 400.

100 of these for £10 last a life time.

Laurie

1575943853887.png

Attachments

• 1575943862144.png
    1575943862144.png
    11.6 KB · Views: 0

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Yes great blades, use those in my " chopper" for plastic strip.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Laurie
Never thought of single edge razor blades - sounds like a good idea :thumb2:
Jim

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I use the round scalpel blades for the very thin/flimsy parts, for the larger more robust parts I have a pair of fiskars scissors, very fine and sharp. Never had problems with buckling.
As for any small remains of the tabs I just use a cheap diamond needle file,

D

Deleted member 5496

I use the round scalpel blades for the very thin/flimsy parts, for the larger more robust parts I have a pair of fiskars scissors, very fine and sharp. Never had problems with buckling.
As for any small remains of the tabs I just use a cheap diamond needle file,

I have all of those as well Ian but since some one, do not know who, put me on to the American
Razor I not use anything else. Probably get approx 1 tag in 20 needing filing.

Laurie