Cutting tape when masking : Razor Blade

T

tecdes

Bought these blades some time ago & forgot about them.

Found that Morton blades are great but not I have found perfect for cutting masking tape when masking canopies etc.

So tried this blade & they are brilliant. Just one slice across, gently, cuts very cleanly thro. the tape. The blades are thinner than Morton, sharper & keep their edge better.

Also you are much closer to the surface than with a Morton so they give much better accuracy. Also been working much faster.

Almost makes masking canopies enjoyable.

View attachment 46135

Laurie

View attachment 49179

P6070343.jpg

B

Bunker-Boys

That's gotta be a lie. Nothing can make masking a canopy enjoyable.

C

CDW

Great idea Laurie, never crossed my mind ... i should have half a box of these somewhere in the loft that i used when i had the photo business.

C

CDW

\ said:
Hi Laurie, where did you get them?
They're called "Single edge safety razor blades" .... got my lot on ebay, about a tenner for 100 inc postage.

T

tecdes

Coincidence just ordering more. Last lot I got from a Model Outlet & looking like I paid through the nose.

Looked on Ebay as Colin mentioned & they work out the cheapest at about £6 per 100 including delivery.

Being a cheapy found on Amazon Personna Regular-Duty Single Edge Razor Blades Box of 100 Blades PSA660089DIS: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

£2.90 100 plus £1:95 post.

Both the Razor & Morton blades are Carbon Steel but the razor is about half the thickness of the Morton which I assume is why it gives a better performance over Morton in certain circumnstances.

You can also, really exciting this, get a tool to fit the razor in to scrape all the paint you splodge over your windows when painting.

Laurie

T

tecdes

Hold on Michael just seen that their spec on size is not the same. They are a lot smaller than mine. This may be a mistake as the blade thickness is given as 26cm which is 1" !

WIll come back with a result. Mine are 40*20 mm.

Laurie

T

tecdes

They are Personna Blades & on their web site they are the 40*20mm blades. They come in a box & each is in a paper sheaf.

Interesting comment by them. You can bend them to suit your requirements which could be handy for convex & concave cutting.

Laurie

G

GazB

Thanks Laurie.

Just ordered some, I'm willing to try anything that might help with canopy masking!

W

wbk666

American Safety Razor Safety Blade Dispenser 10 Pack: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

i think i'll be ordering these, anything to make canopy masking easier :D i dont think i'd ever use the 100 pack even though they are a bargain.

Last edited:
T

tecdes

What about shaving Wayne. Any way I gauge you as young so you will make it with a 100.

Think you will use them fast as you need to use a sharp end & cutting edges go quite quickly. Although not as fast as Morton blades. You also have to ends.

Laurie

W

wbk666

46 aint young lol

Shaving? i wouldnt trust myself with a bare razor haha, i'll stick with the mach 3 for that ;)