Dapol OO Gauge Stephenson's Rocket

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
First time of posting in this section - I bought this on a whim, and decided to put it together on a corner of the bench!
stephenson-s-rocket.jpg
Plastic with stapled header - really old school. Originally it was by Kitmaster in 1961, then by Airfix, now by Dapol
The sprues
DSCF4676.JPGDSCF4677.JPG
Instructions - very small on one side of an A4 sheet - with printed stage by stage word instructions * a rather vague diagram. There are no colour xall ots at all - but I guess that if you're intersted enough to buy it, a little research won't be a problem
DSCF4682.JPG
This is the Rocket in the original piston configuration - The Science Museum Rocket is in the later form.
A few detail shots
DSCF4679.JPGDSCF4680.JPGDSCF4681.JPG
Obviously de rigeur to wear stovepipe hats when driving a locomotive!
The parts look pretty good, considering the age of the original moulds - there is a little flash, and some of parts are a bit bent - the plastic is rather soft.
No rail included to dsplay the model, so I printed out a rail section
DSCF4678.JPG
It's a real tiddler, so I'll have to take care & clean my loupe & tweezers
Dave

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Nice to see something away from the norm.
Have built several of the dapol kits with my son and provided you happy cleaning a bit of flash they are not bad for the price at all.

Your printed rail section looks good :thumb2:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Probably the most famous locomotive in the world. I saw it at the York museum a few years ago.
As you say the kit looks quite good for its age. Nice to see your 3D printer earning it's keep.

davecov

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I will be watching with interest as the Airfix Rocket is my favourite train kit. I have a Seventies blister-pack version in my stash which was moulded in bright yellow plastic. I also made this Dapol version about six years ago.

Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The Rocket at the Rainhill Trials is depicted as being a lemon yellow. Problem is, I can't find a dated contemporary print. Makes you wonder if the colour comes from one source ( and is that correct? ) and has been carroed on from then...............
rocket cc 1930.jpgrocket print 2.jpgrocket print 3.jpgrocket print.jpg
The cigarette card (top ) dates from 1930. The second just looks wrong the figure isn't in scale & it looks a bit simple. The third looks a bit 'chocolate boxy'. The bottom picture looks almost too good! - like a coloured CAD drawing? The inset shows the later Rocket configuration.
They all show the Rocket as yellow, so I'll go with the flow, & look out a nedium yellow.
There are loads of photos of Rocket models - including one with teak boiler slats, and brass banding , which looks great, but is a show item.
Dave

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Ooooo, I'll be watching on. George Stevensons cottage was just a short distance from one of my great uncles in Wylam, Northumberland. Often walked the banks of the Tyne to visit, (my uncle not George Stevenson!!!) :rolling:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Very different Dave!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Colour on this one would be very subjective Dave. I’d personally just copy one of the many replicas and be content, there are lots of them around. Definitely yellow though, it copied the express mail coaches of the time. The first replicas were made in the 1880s….. here in photographic grey, built by the LNWR.
66E395E7-4973-408D-AD5F-23E9C0EC0F75.jpeg

Interesting picture for you comparing Rocket with Flying Scotsman class engine Bayardo. Small beastie isn’t it.
1737A802-EAE5-497D-953F-96650184A1A5.jpeg

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Colour on this one would be very subjective Dave. I’d personally just copy one of the many replicas and be content, there are lots of them around. Definitely yellow though, it copied the express mail coaches of the time. The first replicas were made in the 1880s….. here in photographic grey, built by the LNWR.
View attachment 494085

Interesting picture for you comparing Rocket with Flying Scotsman class engine Bayardo. Small beastie isn’t it.
View attachment 494086
mighty oaks from little acorns grow...................
No-one makes a OO Flying Scotsman kit ( or a Mallard, or Coronation Scot ) - be nice to reproduce this photo
Dave

Valeron

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
This will be a nice little build Dave of a very famous engine.

I had the pleasure of going to York Railway museum last summer and saw it there. I took this picture, although it does look slightly different to the pictures above and also your model.

Mike

20220808_144611.jpg

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
This will be a nice little build Dave of a very famous engine.

I had the pleasure of going to York Railway museum last summer and saw it there. I took this picture, although it does look slightly different to the pictures above and also your model.

Mike

View attachment 494090
This is the later configuration of the Rocket - as it was a prototype, it must have gone through several changes in it's lifetime - lowering the steam cylinders must have improved its' stability
Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Yep, your configuration is how she was for the Rainhill trials Dave. The York original had been used as a experimental test bed, then much later as a colliery workhorse so is far from original condition. The LNWR example above was made from original drawings (LNWR took over the Liverpool and Manchester railway) so is probably much closer to the original.
Kits of the LNER A3s do exist, in both white metal and etch brass, but they are certainly not cheap……if you wanted to recreate that picture you’d be better off finding a non working Hornby OO version and repainting it.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
There's a far bit of flash that needs cleaning up, but the fit is good so far
DSCF4684.JPG
That rail section could do with being 10mm longer. I'm going to paint the main body now, as adding the cylinders & pipes would get in the way. Strictly paint brush for this. The tender is only lacking the filler on the top of the barrel.........
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
All primed up,waiting for a basecoat - I have a trainer yellow, but that looks too orangey, I'll have to go to the deepest recesses of the paint locker to see if I can find someting more suitable
DSCF4685.JPG
I was niggled about the track base being too small, so I printred another, only 10mm longer, but just enough so that the train & tender don't appear squeezed on the rails.
DSCF4686.JPG
The smaller base should be suitable for the Pug shunter................
Dave.
ps got my eye another Dapol chuff chuff on ebay, but depends on whether anyone else wants it!

Last edited:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Coming on nicely Dave!