Dave Ward's 1/48 ICM Henschel Hs 126A-1 Condor Legion

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
After my Interwar Vickers Mk I, my next build is also pre-WWII............. OOBICM Hs 126.jpg
Nice crisp mouldings in a fairly soft plastic. It's quite large 30cm wingspan
wings & fuselage.jpg
Engine bits are nice
engine.jpgengine rods.jpgcowling bits.jpg

Some bits look a bit too delicate, and will need real care to remove from the sprue & clean up
mg.jpg
One piece undercarriage legs
Underc legs.jpg

Canopy & bomb sprues - not sure about the clear instrument panels
canopy & bomb.jpg
Decals
decals.jpg

The instructions look OK, but the quality could be better - the B & W profiles are poor, it's impossible to see the difference between some colours
colour call out.jpg
Luckily, I've found a much better view from the internet. Construction will start shortly...............
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Whilst looking through the instructions, I found this:
P1050150.JPG

OOOH such precision! what tolerance should I apply?
Sod it, I'm drilling 23mm & 13mm, hang the consequences!

I did say the ICM instructions were OK, but you get this-
P1050151.JPG
The induction pipe on the back of the cylinders C54, 9-off. Not exactly clear how it's supposed to fit.
Now, the ICM kit has been reboxed by Italeri, and I was able to download the instructions from 'Scalemates'
italeri engine instr.jpg

Now, I think that is a little bit clearer. - I may be consulting the Italeri instructions again!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Construction started - I've assembled the wing! Since the Hs 126 is a parasol, I can finish the wing to a large degree - especially the tricky camo.wings tail.jpg

The engine is assembled, but unless I leave off the cowlings, not a lot will be seen..................
engine 01.jpgengine 02.jpg
I'm not going to spend any time on the back of the engine, as you can't see it anyway ( hence the seams left untouched )
Dave

First Name
Dave
Looks a nice kit of an interesting subject. Ive picked up the italeri boxing in my local hobby shop and looked at it a few times. Might have to get it after seeing this. The ICM instructions look bad.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Dave,
the instructions are alright, as far as they go, but leave a lot to the imagination! The worst part is the poor marking profiles. The ICM version has two finish options, and a bomb rack, but the Italeri has 7 decal options - a nice choice
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
All the bits added to the sidewalls - lot of them! side walls.jpg

The engine mount - a bit flimsy!
engine mount.jpg

For the camo finish, I'm going to use this
pre wr luftwaffe.jpg
I don't think that I would have got this far without the Italeri instructions - at least not as fast! I have the seats, panels and floors etc to add before I can even think of priming!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Some of the assemblies are way over engineered - I still have to make up the observer's machine gun - which consists of 6 tiny parts!mgs.jpg
I'm going to leave this until really late...............
Dave

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dave
Another unusual model from your good self :thumb2: Good that you found the other instructions. Interested to see what you think of the paint set.
Jim

First Name
Dave
Nice cockpit detail. Should be able to see it through all that glazing

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I've primed the interior, and a/b RLM 02 Grau ( Vallejo Model Color 886 Green Grey ), and detail painted - cockpit RLM 02.jpg

An ink wash, and the fuselage will be ready to close.
Engine - aluminium,, black pushrod covers, dk grey gearbox, and overall wash............
engine washed.jpg
I primed the wings top & bottom, sprayed the wingtips white then masked them off. The underside has been sprayed with RLM 65 Hellblau ( AK Air AK-2003 ).
undersurfaces rlm 65.jpg I'm going to prepare masks for the top wing, after spraying with the lightest colour, might be a bit fiddly...
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Next up - the mask I drew round the wing, onto masking film, then drew out the camo demarcation lines, using the centre line and the ailerons/flaps as datums.
mask.JPG
I've sprayed the wing with the lightest colour, RLM 63 Lichtgrau ( AK Air AK-2034 ). Then the masks marked '1' will be applied. I'm not sure about which colour to do next, as green and brown are of a similar colour density - I'll have to experiment - and I musn't forget the tailplane! ( The wing looks shorter, 'cos the wingtips are missing - all white! )
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The wing is easy enough, it's flat. The fuselage, though, may be a bit more problematical, and may take a bit more time!
The fuselage is at the moment clamped together - it was a bit of a struggle to get the halves to mate nicely - I think that filler will be needed!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
First mask applied!
first mask.jpg

I'll spray the next colour, then wait at least 12 hours before adding the 2nd mask, and the final colour. Any faster, and the chance of lifting the underlying coat is greater.
Dave

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dave
That masking is very clever. Hope it works out OK.
Jim

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Just seen and caught up on this one Dave, it looks a very nice and detailed kit. Nice work so far and a great idea with the masking.