Dave Ward's Revell/ICM 1/48 Beech C-45F Expeditor - Finished

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I'm calling this finished..................
fin 01.jpgfin 02.jpgfin 03.jpgfin 04.jpg

The Revell reboxing of the ICM C-45 is a lovely model, the fit is pretty good ( no filler used ). The cabin interior is largely invisible, but all the seats are there! If the model had separate cowls, it would have made things a lot easier, both in terms of a nasty seam, and painting.
Natural metal is very tricky, it shows up all flaws, and handling causes damage, but I think that this is better than my last effort, but still a long way to go before I'm happy with this finish
The major problem I had was overestimating the covering power of yellow paint! I primed the airframe overall black ( best for natural metal ), but the cowls, being part of the wing assembly proved very difficult to get an even yellow coat - I must have retouched them about a dozen times! I should have primed them - say dark yellow ( dunkelgelb ) and masked them before black over the rest of the airframe.
Dave

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Well Dave I would say that is a result to be proud of. Metallic finish is difficult but yours looks fine. As for yellow it is a horrible colour to paint.
Jim

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I have an Italeri 1/48 Harvard in the stash - 2 of the versions are all trainer yellow ( RAF & RCAF ), don't think I'll be doing those!
Dave

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nice job dave , another one on my ‘to look out for at shows’ list ! Ill never get my stash down !

prichrd1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Dave,

Nice looking "silver bird". :thumb2::thumb2:
That finish is great considering the problems you had.

Paul.
:smiling2:

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
That's a great looking plane Dave, nothing wrong with that finish