Decal advIce

First Name
Bill
As i mostly do figures I have not done much with decals. In the distant past I did a few Airfix kits with waterslide transfers and they were fine.
I decided to buy some Vallejo decal fix which I have not used yet. I notice however that they also do a decal softener and a decal medium. Can someone explain what the difference is (if any) between them and perhaps an idiots guide to their use.

Cheers
Bill

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I may be wrong but I think Vallejo Decal Fix is applied to the surface where the decal is to go to increase adhesion. The Vallejo Decal Softener and the Vallejo Decal Medium are applied to the decal after it is positioned. They will soften the decal and allow it to snuggle down onto the surface, around rivets or into panel lines for example. The Softener and the Medium do the same job, maybe the same stuff ?????? After applying a decal softener the decal becomes fragile and even a bit wrinkly, you can ease it into the surface with a soft brush very gently but best to leave it alone and it will settle OK. You may need to repeat the softening process.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Jim's got it.

'Decal Medium' and 'Decal Softener' do indeed do the same thing. The 'Decal Medium' is alcohol based and the 'Decal Softener' is water based. I don't use them so can't comment on which might work better.

I would add that some decals may take repeated applications of the whichever softener you use to convince them to conform to surface detail.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Just to be sure: you need to soak the decals in water just like when you wouldn’t use this stuff, then apply the decal liquids like Jim explained. Some people make the mistake of soaking them in the solution, which is why I mention it :smiling3:

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
If the decal medium is alcohol based, probably best to not use it over acrylic paint.
Pete

First Name
Bill
Thanks guys for the sound and helpful advice. I got a little confused as to why there were three products seemingly for the same thing. Hope I don't mess up.

First Name
Bill
One further question. Do you guys advocate varnishing the decal when dry?

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
On most of my models I apply a clear coat over them before continuing with any weathering and usually finish with a dull coat

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Varnish the model to get a uniform finish. It seals the decals

My process (on aircraft) is, after painting, a gloss coat onto which to apply decals (unless I have painted the markings using masks). Then a sealing coat of gloss varnish, this provides a base for washes, then the first matt coat after washes. I then will do any other weathering, streaking etc and any pigment based weathering. The en a final matt coat over which I apply any weathering that needs a different sheen to matt such as oil and kerosene leaks and chipping treatment using metal powders.

Remember markings are painted on the real thing and that’s the look you want to achieve. This will require the markings to have a uniform look to other painted surfaces

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I only apply varnish over decals when I think they might not stick well enough, which is to say, very rarely :smiling3: When I do, it invariably causes the area around the decal to end up a noticeably different shade than the rest of the model, which usually remains visible even after weathering and other attempts to get rid of it, so if you’re going to put varnish over decals, you really need to do the whole model.