Decals ????

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
Hi All,

I have a question??? Maybe it's a stupid one .......... I'm wanting to apply some carbon decals. Will they fix ok direct onto the plastic or should I paint the parts first ???

Cheers

Peter

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I haven't done it myself but I'm sure there should be no problems putting them straight onto plastic. is there not a place out of sight to practice on first Peter

First Name
Jason
I have used scale motorsports carbon and put them onto unpainted plastic and they do adhere OK! BUT, a gloss finish allows you a lot more flexibility as the decal slides a lot more and is less inclined to snag and tear, as most carbon decals are very flimsy it makes the whole job a lot easier. I now always spray parts to be carbon'd in gloss black. It also looks very trick IMHO if you clear coat your carbon fibre:emo12:

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
Thanks guys.......... maybe a coat of Gloss Black before the decals...... and a gloss clearcoat after sounds like a good idea.

Peter

First Name
Jason
Good choice! Don't want to teach you to suck eggs but I've learnt through bitter disappointment to leave plenty of time for the carbon to dry out before applying the clear. I usually decal one weekend and clear coat the next this seems to eliminate any issues! Good luck.

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
\ said:
Good choice! Don't want to teach you to suck eggs but I've learnt through bitter disappointment to leave plenty of time for the carbon to dry out before applying the clear. I usually decal one weekend and clear coat the next this seems to eliminate any issues! Good luck.
Thanks much appreciated. I have an exhaust can and a rear mudguard o do. The tricky one is going to be the rear mudguard as there is a double curve (round the length and width). So a gallon or so of Microsol is ready for the job.

Peter

R

Richy C

Along with the micro sol and set a hairdryer is also a must , on low heat it will help the decal conform to difficult areas .

Richy

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
Thanks Richy ........... Microsol, Microset and a hairdryer.

I can already see this turning into a right "cock-up"............ :fool: But I'll give it a go.

Peter