Defense of the Reich

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Here we go, now i can see it's all finished and loved every minute of the build.

Tamiya's D-9 and Kubelwagen, Italeri Opel Blitz and the great ICM figures. Not a clue on the history of this aircraft, i build tanks after all but i hope you like the photos.

As always have fun, John

View attachment 15577View attachment 15576View attachment 15579View attachment 15578View attachment 15574View attachment 15573View attachment 15572View attachment 15575

View attachment 23866

View attachment 23867

View attachment 23868

View attachment 23869

View attachment 23870

View attachment 23871

View attachment 23872

View attachment 23873

DSCF5727.jpg

DSCF5729.jpg

DSCF5730.jpg

DSCF5732.jpg

Dscf5725.jpg

Dscf5724.jpg

DSCF5728.jpg

DSCF5731.jpg

F

Fenlander

Very nice John. Amazing how a few extras can bring it to life isn't it. Very nice paint job all round and the figures look really good. Has to be a 5 star mate.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
That's a mighty fine piece of work John!

Gern

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Lovely! tremendous piece of work. I was a bit suspicious of what was going on between a couple of the figures so it was a relief to see that one was helping the other with his parachute!

Really well done.

Cheers

Steve

Edit: I'm away but Blue 15 with that defense of Reich tail band would be from II/JG301. It's probably really well known and flown by someone ever so famous but I'm b*ggered if I can remember.

Last edited by a moderator:
F

Fenlander

I was a bit suspicious of what was going on between a couple of the figures
Must admit I did a double take lol. Got to love the vehicles on here though, that truck and the posing of the chatting figures is very well done.

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
WOW!! Thanks lads yes, them figures are great and as been said, two are "a bit suspicious". It's my post and i had to look twice lol. I know one thing though, the next GB i'm just building the subject (yeah right, famous last words).

Steve love the edit, Graham thanks for the five stars mate.

Have fun, John

N

noble

John, this is beautiful work mate there is nothing out of place here the paintwork is first class, the vehicles look well done and the figures are excellent so you get a big five from me too.

scott

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Bravo John:terrific: All superbly done. I especially like the subtle weathering on the vehicles. It seems that you and I have chosen the same figures. When I assembled the pilot and 'friend' I thought they looked sus too!!! They are very good figures though and much better than an Eduard set that I bought for the same project. The low angle shots are great and the Dora looks every bit the mean SOB ready to take on those bomber streams!

I echo the 5 star sentiments above (and will give them when I work out how to do it!)

Cheers

Paul

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Been doing some digging for info today on "Blue 15" and this is what i found out..................

This aircraft, a FW 190 D-9, was discovered at Langansalza by US forces in the spring of 1945. Only one photo of the aircraft has been published to date (Hildebrandt, 1987), but at least one other is known illustrating the same junked fuselage. The aircraft has been identified as “Blue 15” of II./JG 301 in the past, but a reinterpretation of the original, and other photos reveals that its true identity as “Yellow 15”, WNr.500666, from 3./I./JG 301.

Fw190 D-9 Yellow 15 WNr.500666

Have fun, John

F

Fenlander

Mmmm, interesting. Have to say that even given the lack of sensitivity of Panchromatic film in those days, and the use of filters being quite limited, that '15' does not look yellow to me. if filters were used on this, I would have expected a yellow or orange, fairly low density. Both these would have rendered the yellow '15' much lighter, almost white. Given the underside is very light, I suppose a blue filter may have been used but it would have been unusual to do so. A blue filter would have darkened the yellow slightly but not, in my opinion, by that much. Blue filters would only have been used to lessen contrast on B&W film, their main use id for colour film in tungsten lighting.s

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Unfortunately interpreting B+W images is something of a black art,an art about which I am blissfully ignorant. I do know that different types of film can cause some interesting variations (look at an RAF roundel photographed on ortho film). Also,I was led to believe that the use of filters was quite common,I am however definitely no expert and would defer to expert opinion.

The link did ring some bells , I'll try to look it up when I get home.

Cheers

Steve

F

Fenlander

The use of filters for panchromatic was common for landscape pictures where a yellow, very subtle, Orange, a bit stronger and red potentially very dramatic were used to give detail to skies. Orange and red would darken blue thus giving greater contrast between blue skies and white cloud. A deep red would make a summer blue sky turn almost black. It was fairly common to keep a yellow filter on for assisting the contrast boost for many day to day shots but, and this is my point, it would lighten yellow to almost white. To be honest, I don't know why I said the use of filters would be 'quite limited', I had a train of thought going that I cannot recall now lol. Old age is a terrible thing.

I was probably thinking that filters would not have been used to alter anything in a shot of this nature, who knows.....

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Cheers Graham,thanks for the explanation. I know you know a lot more about photography than I ever will!

A quick note,if John will permit on his thread,about the relevance of the colour of the code numbers.

Late in the war most Luftwaffe fighter wings (Jagdegeschwader or JG) were organised into four groups (Gruppen) which are denoted by a Roman number...I ,II, III, and IV. The second Gruppe of JG 301 would thus be II./JG 301. The Gruppe an aircraft belonged to was indicated by various bars or wavy lines etc but that is for another time.

Again late war Jagdegeschwader were organised into four squadrons (Staffeln) and a "staff flight" (Gruppe Stab). The Staffel number is always given as an Arabic numeral... 1,2,3 and 4. The second Staffel of JG 301 would thus be 2./JG 301.

The various aircraft of the officers of the Gruppe Stab are marked with various chevrons and bars,again for another time, and were supposed to be coded with black or green numbers.

The four Staffeln of each Gruppe were assigned a colour.

1 staffel White

2 staffel red

3 staffel yellow

4 staffel blue

So John's aircraft of 3./I./JG 301 was from the 3rd Staffel of the first Gruppe of JG 301 and would therefore carry a yellow number.

An aircraft with a yellow number would be from either the 3rd (I Gruppe),7th (II Gruppe),11th (III Gruppe) or 15th (IV Gruppe) Staffel of the Jagdegeschwader

It isn't as complicated as it seems. Unfortunately not all units were rigorous in their adherence to the rules which causes much fun and games today.

Remember it's only a model!!!!

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
HI john, just catching up on the threads , this is one excellent piece of work,absolutely top class.The vehicles and figures are a great addition,well done , 5 stars from me,cheers tony

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
You carry on Steve, interesting reading mate. Not happy though, i look for info only to find the aircraft was junked lol. But you'll be happy to know my model will be keepin it's wings.

Graham, sorry but i have just had to Google "Panchromatic film" to find out what you was on about. But now i know, i just click and hope for the best.

Thanks for the 5 stars Tony, tenner is in the post.

Have fun, John

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Like Tony I have been South 'til the butter melted (should 'ave stayed at home, it's been hotter, hey ho!!)

John, haven't a clue what Graham was on about!lol What I do know is this build of yours is top dollar stuff, so much to see and all well painted....

BIG 6 from me!!!!! Gotta be worth twenty quid (cash)

Keep having fun,

Ron

F

Fenlander

Sorry guys. Panchromatic film (black and white) actually responds to colour thus giving it a wider range of tonal variation (shades of grey) than Orthochromatic (which doesn't respond to colour and has a limited tonal range).

The beauty of this for photographers is that they can manipulate the tonal range of a scene by using coloured filters in front of the lens at the time of shooting the picture. Any colour filter has the effect of lightening any object in the scene of the same colour and darkening the opposite colour on the colour wheel.

So, if you were taking a B&W picture of a field full of daisies and dandelions, white and yellow and you fitted a yellow filter, the yellow dandelions would appear as white as the daisies. However, if the field had a nice blue sky over it, the blue would appear slightly darker.

The three most common filters for landscape photography would be Yellow, mild effect but tends to boost contrast slightly, Orange which darkens blue skies a bit more than yellow and Red which darkens blues (and greens) more strongly. This enabled landscapes to appear more contrasty and dramatic with the blue sky and white clouds having greater contrast than without a filter.

Sometimes a light red filter was used in portrait photography to as any red blotches on the sitters face would appear lighter and less noticeable.

Here endeth my ramble and I apologise for hijacking a perfectly sensible thread with my waffling......

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
No no no Graham, you've not hijacked matey, you're just give us some info. I kinda understand about the filters so thanks.

Have fun, John

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
First off; John, what a wonderfull little sceen you have made there! Excellent work on both the dora and the vehicles! Five stars from me!

Graham. What does a green filter do?.... Used to do a bit of BW work but just cant think of what a green filter does.

Stona; I vote that you write an article on this Gerry ID thingiemewotsit. Sounds rather interresting, and you seem to have a handle on it!!

Ian M